XBOX, PS3 or Graphics Card?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dashken, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Should I get inFamous??? :o

1 person likes this.
  2. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

dash - about the graphic card part la.

normally here's how do it.

a) get something cheap - eg HD4670 DDR3 512mb or even better, the HD4830.

b) now if you do decide to get something more pricey (eg GTX260 / HD4870) then what you can do is use it until the item's 2nd hand value drops to about 1/2 your purchase price, sell if off and get something new.

it should reach 1/2 price just before the warranty expires, assuming it's at least 2 years warranty la.

my practice has always been to buy GC no more than RM 600. sell it off at RM 300. then buy a new one. that's not more than RM 600. that comes to like RM 300 per upgrade, done every 8 to 18 months - depending on the depreciation rate.

just a thought, but nowadays the GC pricing is a little crazy, with prices going down down down like crazy. HD4850 is nowadays RM 375 or so.......... pretty much makes HD4770 / HD4830 pointless already.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, the prices are just dropping like nobody's business. Makes it really pointless to buy the high-end cards unless you aren't really worried about resale value. :D

4. Chai

Since I bought my 4830, I never played a single game! Not because it's crap, it's great actually, but there's no game worth playing. :haha:

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I know it's old, but tried Fallout 3 yet? It can last a long time, especially with the DLCs installed. :thumb:

6. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

I find Fallout 3 short? finish all the DLC already :D...now left..mothership Zeta XD...like chai said, now pc games less di leh >_<...nothin much to play :/

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

If you just stick to the main storyline, it won't be really long. The beauty of these games (Fallout 3 and Oblivion) is exploration and the bunch of side quests. I have 76 hours clocked on Fallout 3 (50 quests completed, 200 locations discovered). And I'm still exploring Point Lookout.

8. Chai

I think I played Fallout 3 much earlier than most of you. But I just got sick of FPS, and this is an RPG, which I don't like.

9. goldfries

sold off both my HD4830. sold off both my HD4770 as well.

i miss all 4 of them. :D anyway i plan to buy Street Fighter 4! :D should be fun.

10. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

LOL! Now you guys make me want to buy XBOX... ahhh!!!! :wall:

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

lol how did we do that? o_0

My 360 is like a GM car. Nothing runs so bad as long as it does (the POS refuses to DIE!). (optical drive tray gets "stuck" a lot, it sometimes boots up if it wants to, graphics corruption some times (PITA when playing GTAIV), my $99 USD WiFi is a bit finicky - sometimes won't work when connected straight to Xbox 360, but works just fine if connect at the back of of my HD DVD drive - for now that is, heck it used to RRoD during a cold start up a while back but work when I turned it off and on again). My friends on the other hand are on their 5-6th consoles. My "normal" warranty is up, I only have the 3 year RRoD warranty left.

Also Xbox Live (to play online multiplayer) is ~50USD a year (aka Gold Account). The normal account is a "Silver" account that just gives you achievements and access to marketplace. You can't play online multiplayer at all without a Gold Account subscription. PC and PS3 is all free.

@Chai, haha yea probably played before most, but I had it on launch day... :p

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Have 3/4 decided to get XBOX... Jasper, 60GB, 2 wireless controllers + 10 games = RM1250. :D

13. Chai

Haha...Xbox...A lot of hidden cost, or you need to sacrifice. No online gaming.

Seriously, are there many games you want to play on X360?

@PsYkHoTiK: That's why I'm very careful with my words... :haha:

14. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hidden cost? Can elaborate ah? :D

For one, I'm not into online gaming anymore. Hmm... for a long time already actually. I still haven't seen any hidden cost, just that I have more game choices and not limited like PC. PC games I like are also available for X360.

Anymore thoughts would be much appreciated. :D

15. Chai

If you are going for russian route, then you might not face any hidden cost. But then again, you are missing half the fun too IMO. One of the greats things of X360 over other consoles are the online gaming capabilities.

16. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yeah, multiplayer wise, it is still a lot more convenient on Xbox Live. But then again, it better well be since I have to pay the subscription! Playing coop on Halo 3 and Gears of War/2 is a lot of fun. I also used to play Forza 2 online a lot (but I have graphics issues so kinda stopped).

17. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well... doesn't modded x360 has problem playing online (as in possible ban?)? And from what I've heard, most of the consoles out there in shops come modded. :think: If modded consoles playing original games, will MS ban?

18. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Online multiplayer for the chipped ones are a no no. Hardware and gamertag ban. But you have to keep in mind, consoles of this age now have regular online updates (fixes and addition of more features). Xbox 360 has two updates a year I believe and PS3 has multiple updates (which usually adds features each time). It's no longer the days of PSone or PS2 or SNES, et al.

There are really very few games for either console that are non-multiplayer. Multiplayer really is a big beauty of console games of this generation. Haha! I've even played LBP with Chai (though maybe I should host next time huh Chai?)... :p Out of the nearly 20 PS3 games I have, 5 have either no multiplayer or forgettable multiplayer. Same with Xbox 360. out of the 20 or so games that I have, only 4 have either no multiplayer or useless multiplayer. Games such as Killzone 2, LBP, GTA IV, Resistance 1 & 2, Halo 3, Gears of War1/2, Gran Turismo 5: Prologue, Forza 2, Red Faction: Guerrilla, and a few others that I have are big on both single player as well as multiplayer.

So in that sense, chipped consoles really are counterproductive in the long run. You've lost half of the features and beauty of it without even opening the box yet.

And I really don't know how consoles are sold there haha. Though I know at least two Malaysians who have unchipped 360s (and play on XBL).

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  19. goldfries

don't consider Wii ah?

20. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hmm... the RM1250 I'm considering is most probably chipped. Sigh...

Wii ah? Dunno lo. I don't want to play tennis and row boat everyday. I need action and damn nice graphics. :D