XP "Freezes" Upon Resuming From Hibernation

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Jeremy, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

Recently, I've encountered a problem where the laptop upon resuming from hibernation mode, freezes for five minutes before I can continue doing anything. The scenario here is when resuming from hibernation, any attempts to launch any applications or mess with the existing applications which are already open seems to be futile, after five long minutes, all the actions which you "recorded" earlier starts going about it's task. Any ideas?

Latest hotfix/patches has been installed.
    Checked BIOS for power management strings which may affect XP.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

This is usually due to driver problem, especially graphics card. Updated already?

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. You might want to scan your hard drives for logical errors. :think:

4. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

Forgot to mentioned, first I did the sfc /scannow command which didn't yield any positive results so I did a repair installation which didn't fix it. However, as hibernation works only when you have the minimum same amount of free hard disk space as your total RAM count, upon resuming from hibernation, logically all the data copied to the HD will have to transfered back to the RAM and seeing that the laptop has 4GB of RAM, it will take sometime to load obviously so could this five minute delay be the problem?

This problem is pissing me off ontop of another oracle/network connection problem which I need to troubleshoot. Damn it.

5. Adrian Wong

Yes, hibernation requires that kind of hard drive space. Wow, 4GB? Yes, that is possible.

What you can try is this. Instead of hibernating, just set your laptop to Suspend. That way, it keeps the data in memory instead of writing into the hard drive.

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Suspend will continue to use the battery.

7. Adrian Wong

Yup, but just to retain the contents of the memory modules.

In any case, switching to Suspend will at least tell us if the problem is due to Hibernation... or not.