YouTube goes Widescreen

Discussion in 'News' started by ChampionLLY, Nov 25, 2008.

1. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

Source: YouTube Blog

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I still hate wide screen format. :(

3. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

That's good news to me now that I only use widescreen monitors ;)

4. Chai

I have widescreen monitor, but I still hate widescreen.

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I have 2 widescreen monitors and I love widescreen... :p

6. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I don't have a problem with widescreen (16:10) as long as I have enough vertical resolution.

/me hates 16:9 >: (

7. Chai

4:3 is the fap for working. 16:9 is good for watching movie. 4:3 works well for gaming too.

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, widescreen gaming is really nice, at least for FPS. Not so good for strategy games. :D

For work, wide screen has its pros and cons. Widescreen is great if you want to work on a document on one half and have another document open in the second half. Like one half showing Microsoft Word, and the other half showing a PDF document. :thumb:

But for graphics, 4:3 works best. The lack of vertical space can really hamper productivity. :(

9. Chai

Well, I find it much better to do this on a 4:3 monitor, I can see a lot more documents at a time on a 4:3 than a 16:10. That's why I still prefer 4:3.

As for Excel, I need more resolution, doesn't matter if it's 4:3 or 16:10.

10. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I rotate my widescreen monitor if I need more vertical resolution. I prefer horizontal space for spreadsheets though... :think:

11. Adrian Wong

OT : I think 30" is about the maximum practical size for a desktop monitor... or do you guys think there should be larger sizes? :think:

Back to topic though.. the new Youtube widescreen format won't really matter much, whether you have a widescreen monitor or not. It's still so small in size. Hehe... :mrgreen:

12. Chai

I think it's meant for people who uses higher video quality mode and view it in full screen.

13. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Wow 30"! No money for that :mrgreen:

But when you put the video to HQ and enlarge it, it sort of makes the experience better... and more pixelated but uh.. :thumb:

14. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

I wonder how's the feeling watching youtube fullscreen on 30'' :think:

15. Chai

I tried on my 24" and it's crap. Youtube videos are not even close to high quality, I wouldn't bother with running at full screen, can't see much details anyway.

And the most annoying thing is, most of the videos are still in 4:3, and there's 2 annoying black bars...

16. Adrian Wong

With the difference in resolution, you will want to sit really far back. :D

17. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

why youtube not implement two player, auto-detect, maybe? one for 4:3 and one for widescreen, so no more black bar

18. Chai

I don't think so. It's an ultra high resolution display, you will still want to sit close to the screen, that's why it's not really meant for movies.

19. Adrian Wong

In full-screen mode??? :shock:

He's talking about watching YouTube in full screen mode on a 30" widescreen.

20. Chai

Then you should say:

LCD is not meant for scaling, that why you should choose a display based on your most common resolution used, not the screen size.