Zalman RESERATOR XT

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by jomuj, Aug 30, 2007.

1. jomuj

jomuj Official BOG Supporter!

I don't suppose anyone has seen one of these for sale in KL anywhere? I've seen some other liquid cooling kits around, but they don't have any "wow" factor, and are frankly appear quite small, which makes me wonder if they are capable of cooling a CPU + Graphics card (possibly 2)?

Anyone got any idea's? Is it really worth forking out the extra cash for liquid cooling or is air still the best option?:think:

2. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

If you are concerned about performance, avoid the Reserator XT, it will at most slightly outperform or on par with current highest end aircooler and considering it's price, it's not worth considering at all.

Otherwise, if your priority in this purchase is mainly for 'bling' and you don't mind spending so much for it, then go for it :mrgreen:

3. jomuj

Ahh, i see. Well i like to get a good bang for my buck. Any recommendations for a some serrious cooling performance? Well, that is not to absurdly priced of course.

4. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

The best aircooler you can get right now is Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, costs around ~RM250.

If you want a good performing watercooling system, be prepared to spend at least ~RM800.

5. jomuj

I've allready got a Zlaman Fatal1ty FS-C77, so I want to upgrade to watercooling at some point. Any particular models that you can recommend

6. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

What are you going to watercool? Just the CPU?

7. jomuj

Well, I haven't completely decided on my system yet. But at least the CPU + GPU. And possibly and SLI setup. If possible it would be nice to do the northbridge and Graphics RAM as well, but that might be pressing my luck a bit far. Hahaha.

8. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

D-Tek Fuzion CPU waterblock
    Swiftech MCP655 pump
    Swiftech MCR320QP radiator

You can add your other blocks later on. IMO watercooling the NB is quite pointless and it adds too much restriction in your loop. Not recommended.

9. jomuj

Ok, thanks for the info, I've checked it out and it looks pretty good, I will probably just get one of their kits and the add-on's for the GPU. The price adds up to a fairly hefty sum with shipping. I don't suppose there is anywhere in malaysia that sells this brand?

Also, it seems rather large, there won't be any problems fitting it inside a large case like the Coolermaster Stacker 830 will there?

These are the parts i'm thinking about going with.

Swiftech H2O APEX ULTRA CPU Liquid Cool Kit
    Swiftech MCW60™ Graphics Card Liquid Cooler - Retail
    Swiftech MCW-Ramcool /79 GeForce VGA Memory Water-block

What do you think? :)

10. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

No unfortunately they do not sell them in Malaysia.

That would do the job just fine. However, it's still better to spend more and get the MCR320QP radiator though, since you are watercooling both your CPU and GPU. The H2O Apex kit only comes with MCR220QP. I also assume that you are going to overclock your system.

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Good decision to embark on Watercooling. :thumb:

It is a lot of fun and rewarding. Though it does come at a very high price too. :o

For multiple block loops, you need to make sure the loop has low restriction. Currently the Dtek FuZion CPU block has the lowest restriction. Since you are probably having it shipped to you from elsewhere, you could consider it.

If you want to cool the memory with water, I would consider a Full Face block (perhaps be DangerDen or EK). If not, just slap on some chipsinks.

Thats what I did with my 8800GTS. MCW60 with chipsinks.
    http://taib.rojakpot.com/8800wb.jpg

The CM Stacker 830 not too sure how people do it in that case. The old stacker was great for watercooling.

I have all of mine in a Silverstone TJ-07.
    http://taib.rojakpot.com/case1.jpg

I have my setup designed for high flow.

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

MCR220 is good enough for most applications.

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

For less than 10 bucks more, I'd still go MCR320QP.

14. jomuj

Thanks for all the feedback guys. This will be the first time I have dabbled with watercooling, so I'll take any help I can get :).

So, from what you guys are saying, maybe it would be better to buy the components sepperately instead of in a kit? And if thats the case, what parts do I need to buy? I would hate to realise that I'd forgot a few bits and can't put it together.

So far:
    Radiator
    Reservoir
    Pump
    Waterblocks

Also where to put it might be an issue. I see Swiftech offer the "Radbox" that appears to let you mount it from a rear 120mm fan port, but I'm not so sure if the larger MCR320QP would fit. And wouldn't it end up blocking all the PCI slots, making it difficult to plug things in?

PsYkHoTiK I see you have your's in the bottom of your case? You can take a look at the stacker here

I've noticed that it has a fan rack on the inside of the case door, is it possible the smaller radiator might be attached there? Or perhaps the radiator could be laid along the bottom of the case? Then again, i'm guessing that when it's outside the case it more effectively removes heat from the case. So, to get better flow, larger tubing should be used with a more powerful pump?

15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

It would help your ambient temperatures (for the case) if you had it outside (or had it blowing outwards - like mine).

The pump that Max_87 recommended to you is a pretty powerful one. :mrgreen:

Flow is dependant on the pump and the components. A high restriction block will impeed the overall flow of your loop (bottleneck). Too much tubing could potentially have the same effect (as well as multiple block/rads).

The MCR320QP will work with the radbox. If I'm not wrong, thats how Chai has his system set up. :mrgreen: I too have the radbox. Used it previously on my older system but no longer using it now.

My old PC with it being used:
    http://taib.rojakpot.com/wcing.jpg

You can only use 1/2" OD tubing with it though (so it can squeeze through the PCI slot). Larger tubing (like what I use) will not fit through the PCI slots.

To be honest, a rad box would be the ideal way. The CM Stacker 830 is 'too small' to fit stuff inside. Pity. :(

The Swiftech MicroRes is a good choice (Max, Chai, and myself are using it).

For my case, I removed the HDD cages at the bottom and mounted it using 3 5.25" bays (bought a bay converter from SilverStone).

16. jomuj

So bigger tubing is better then? In that case i could always drill some larger holes into the case to let them through.

:shock: I can't imagine a case much bigger than the stacker. lol.

I think the easiest thing to do would be to have a look once I actually have the case and components, I'm sure i will be able to make it fit somehow.

Does the radiator have to be upright, or can in be turned on it's side/laid flat?

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I have my radiator on its sides (blowing air out thru the sidepanel). The layout on the TJ-07 is more conducive to watercooling. It is more 'open' whereas the CM Stacker 830 has more unusable space. The older stacker was great for watercooling. People would lay the rad flat at the bottom as there was more open space. The CM Stacker 830 is big (no disputes). It's just that there is more wasted space (space you can't use). For example, look at the part that is on the same level as the PSU. Plus it has 'feet' and a thick top. So overall, internal space is less.

I short listed the CM Stacker 830 initially but after seeing it in person, I knew the layout wouldn't work out for what I wanted. Other then that its a great case.

18. jomuj

The stacker 810 you mean? Yeah it looks quite a bit bigger, plus there is a 120mm fan slot right at the top, which means it would be possible to hang that large 3 fan raditor out the back. It's not as pretty though, :D

I wanted to get my case airbrushed to look like one of their new CSX cases http://csxstore.coolermaster-usa.com/product_info.php?products_id=2

The thing is, is a radiator that large really necessary? I want to overclock, but will that slightly larger radiator make much of a difference to temperatures?

19. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

If you are going to cool the CPU and GPU and all that other stuff then yes. What are you going to use to cool it? Plus like I said its ~8-9 bucks more between the 220 and 320. Your choice really. It depends on heat load. Also you might have a higher ambient temperature there. So factor that in as well (temperature delta).

20. jomuj

The case or the radiator? Most likely I will only need to cool the CPU + GPU, the rest should be ok as it is I would say. It's not so much the price i'm worried about, it's the size and getting it to fit. :p