Zalman RESERATOR XT

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by jomuj, Aug 30, 2007.

1. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

What specific CPU and graphics card?

Generally for those two, I would recommend a 120.3 just to maximize performance.

2. jomuj

jomuj Official BOG Supporter!

Intel QX6700 if i can afford it :p But if not probably a q6600, unless ADM come up with anything better.

GPU will be 8800 Ultra without a doubt, and I plan to try and push the OC as far as it will go :D lol

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Those two DEFINITELY do not belong in the same loop then. Even more so if you want to push.

I'd have to say two loops or perhaps two 120.3 rads.

I've seen a QX6700 clocked at 3.5GHz do 69C load on all four cores. Thats with a Dtek Fuzion, 1/2" ID tubing, and a DEDICATED PA120.3 (the king of cool as far as rads go - the MCR320QP is beaten by their 120.2 in terms of heat dissapation. Two PA120.3s have less pressure drop than a single MCR320QP).

Do not underestimate quad core heat (ask ZuePhok - he sold his off after seeing the load temps for himself). :p It's for that reason I didn't go QX6700 (or Q6600 G0 for that matter). I really wanted to go nuts on my latest PC build but held back for some reasons. :p

Phase is the way to go for quads I think... :p

Me?

I greatly enjoy my temps (E6850 and 8800GTS).
    http://taib.rojakpot.com/3950_24hour.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  4. jomuj

I'm new to watercooling, what do you mean by "Two loops" as in from 2 rads? Would it be better off to go with a ThermoCill rad instead?

Phase change anyone? :p lol.

I can see what you mean, your OC is only going to be as good as your cooling, I can't really see how you could cool it any more efficiently, can you link more than one radiator together? :D

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

the PA120.3 is like 135 here. IF you can find them online. They get sold out all the time.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Thermochill-PA120.3-pr-3264.html
    http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-MCR320-QP-K-Triple-120mm-Radiator-pr-3320.html

Generally the bigger the radiator, the more heat it can dissipate (only true within their respective product line).

I wanted to get it but I couldn't find any in stock.

Heat is the enemy of any overclock. Naturally you want better cooling to cool it down (kinda why you're going to watercooling right?).

Two loops = two seperate watercooling loops. a pump, res, radiator, and block each for CPU and GPU. So one for the CPU, one for the GPU (you could do with a 120.2 radiator for the GPU I guess).

6. jomuj

Yeah, the site I was looking at was sold out as well. I've got time to watch and wait though, not going to start till at least the end of this year. This talk of 2 of everything is starting to sound rather expensive now though :p lol. What other stuff do you need to buy ontop of those items? All the bits to fit them together. The thermochill rads should be usable with the radbox?

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Water cooling is not cheap by any measure. I did skimp on some stuff (like the rad) and that ran me over 300 bucks.

You naturally need the fans for your rad. Metal clamps for your fittings, the fittings themselves for some of the stuff. Tubing (good stuff like the Tygon R3603 run pretty expensive) is of course needed. Coolant is optional but a Biocide is a must. Distilled water for the actual water, time and effort and a whole lot of patience (to bleed and leak test the system etc). A backplate for the CPU block is ideal (or else you will get bowing). Thermal paste naturally.

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

The reason why I recommended sticking to MCR220 is because the APEX kit comes with MCR220 and there's no option to upgrade.

9. jomuj

Hmm, thats a good point. Do you agree with PsYkHoTiK on the fact that 2 loops are needed to cool overclocked QX6700 & 8800Ultra?

Now! What sort of fittings would I need to put these all together? I'm relly clueless here *sigh*. Here is the link to the shop i was looking at http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=59_346
    All the brands make it rather confusing.

I see what you mean about the Stacker-832 being rather small... How about this one http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=103_334&products_id=20999
    It looks like it has 2 x 120mm fans at the top. Think it's possible to mount a rad there? Then in the event of 2 loops, another could be added with a radbox on the back.

or this one http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=103_193&products_id=4480
    or this http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=103_193&products_id=20854

Except not with the modified side windows, because to ship a case would cost a small fortune. :haha:

If you look at the stock case, it would be possible to mount one radiator at the top with a bit of drilling and cutting, and put the PSU in the bottom slot.

10. Chai

You should be safe with the APEX kit, it comes with almost everything you need, including the fittings. It will be an almost plug and play kit.

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I've already done my part in that regard. :whistle:

Don't get me wrong. A CPU and a 8800 class card can be on the same loop (lol after all, mine is). A Quad in my honest opinion needs to be on its own loop (with a 120.3 to maximize performance) to get any decent overclocking on it.

Take my setup. My CPU's load is already at 40C (at 3.95GHz)and thats with the MC320QP with THREE 120x38mm 100 CFM FANS. Most people have half the airflow I have running through the radiators due to fan noise (i.e: less effective dissipation). I have no problems with the whooshing sounds these fans make.

A Quad Core is essentially two core 2 duos slapped on together (highly simplistic explanation). So double the heat from my CPU and that would knock the temps way higher (beyond watercooling to get my kinda speeds right now). With my setup already at 40C (thats with the nice cool Pacific Northwest weather too - Malaysian heat is far higher) overclocked. I don't even want to see the kinda temps a Quad G0 would have with a 8800 class card (which already emits a lot of heat). Well actually I still do but thats another question altogether... :mrgreen:

Or lets take it at stock. At stock voltage and 3GHz (stock speed) CoreTemp shows my idling temps to be at 19-20C right now. Load is at 28C (both cores - great mounting wewt!). Now what if there were four cores running at those temps? I'm no engineer but I'm sure it wont double. But even so, my SLA9U has a 65w TDP, the SLACR (Q6600 G0) has a 95w TDP. Thats ~40% more. So if my load is ~28C at stock everything, the Q6600 should be ~40C (rough rough estimation - based on my settings - ambient, similar cooling). Factor in that a 8800Ultra runs quite a bit warmer than my 8800GTS and that will bump it a notch. Fast approaching my overclocked temps already (and its at stock). ;) The only difference in this example is that my cores run at 3GHz (for the 28C load - 40C @ 3.95GHz) but the Q6600's cores are at 2.4GHz. :mrgreen:

FYI the G0 steppings run cooler than the B3 stepping (Q6600 B3 SL9UM has 105w TDP and the QX6700 SL9UL has a 130w TDP respectively).

All of the above is in line with what I saw (the QX6700 doing 3.5GHz hitting 69C load on a dedicated loop).

Now those with Engineering backgrounds can go ahead and debunk me (I really really don't care) if they wish but no one can deny, those quads run real hot (and I've seen how hot they are). This was my thought process when deciding if I should go QX or C2D. After running the numbers and looking at a lot of examples, I knew any really hard overclocking of the quad core is reasonably beyond watercooling.

Not trying to sway your purchase decisions though (you asked for an opinion, ball is in your court with no ramifications on my side. :mrgreen: ). I like it that people pick and choose exactly what they want after I've given my 2 cents. Knowledge is free and I share what I have (though I don't spread misconceptions - a semi-qualified opinion if you will). I have no stake either ways.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  12. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Single loop works fine too, but if you want better temperatures, then you will have to go dual separate loops for QX6700 and 8800 Ultra. Of course, the cost will be doubled. Plus, you have more things to worry about if you want dual loops, especially space.

If you are worried about the fittings and stuff, might as well just get the APEX kit first, like Chai said it's almost plug and play. The APEX is good enough for cooling your CPU and a GPU, but if you want to run SLI then I doubt it will be enough.

13. jomuj

Thanks for all your opinions, it will hopefully help me get it right the first time. lol. I'll have a look at some components, and see if I can decide what I want.

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Hey no problem. Just helping out. :mrgreen:

15. w0rldl3ad3r

w0rldl3ad3r Newbie

hey guys

I just bought a Qx6700 and XFX 8800 GTX XXX (not Ultra)

I a confused.. Should I just buy the Zalman Reserator XT, or should I custom watercool. Infact will watercooling the quad even work>???? Some advise please. I have read the previous posts and they are useful, but I want to know more precisely.

Currently I use a zalman reserator 1 when it first came out with my old system.

If I am to do a custom system cooling, there are so many different blocks around. Some people say the D-Tek fusion is the best.. Also whats this new thermoelectric cooling like? Is it risky?

16. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

TEC cooling is a big no-no on quad core. There is just way too much heat to handle.

Unless you want to try this - the mother of all TEC waterblock + 437W TEC module :haha: http://www.wintschlabs.com/ArcticWeb.html

17. w0rldl3ad3r

w0rldl3ad3r Newbie

hey

hmmm can you list me the methods that are good for quadcore and 8800gtx cooling.. or more specifically which products please

Watercooling any good?

18. Chai

Just make sure you get a big radiator with 3x120 configuration. Since you haven't get your quad core and GTX, I highly recommend you to wait for the next gen. G92 should be out by November, Penryn is not too far away as well.

19. jomuj

I would say that's sound advice, I'm holding out for that as well, still can't decide what watercooling stuff to get, but hey, it's a start. :)

I wanted to ask about parts like these:
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=59_346
    What are all these fittings for? And would I need any of them?

20. Chai

Short answer is no.

Just buy the kit, it's more than complete.