5D Mk III OR 5D Mk II

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ishtim, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

I you had the money, would you buy the newer body OR older body and some glass?

Is it worth the extra $$$? $1300 USD more for the Mk III right now.

Some time ago we chatted about Ol' Unkle Ishtim going to a full frame camera to replace his aging 300D. Over the last 2 years I have saved enough to consider some options. My dilemma is that I have a wonderful Sigma 10-22mm that is of the EF-S variety and a Sigma 70-200m f2.8 (and 2x teleconverter) that I am uncertain if it will cause vignetting on the FF sensor. :eh:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Sigma 10-20 is definitely goign to cause vignet, but the 70-200 should be fine.

I think it's not the right time to buy MkIII as it has just recently launched and it's going to be really expensive.

3. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

I am not ready to commit at this point to either model, but I am researching the whole FF and some APS-C and APS-H (not sure what this is yet) sensors. In fact, it's more of a "what if?" For whatever reason (*cough* getting old) my lovely wife of nearly 13 years suggested that I upgrade my gear. :hug:

As for the 10-22, I could sell it with the 300D body.

Next question is...
    What do you look for in an external flash?

What about all hooplah? on the web I saw an advertisement...$600 USD for a flash? :faint:

4. Chai

Well, the sensor size is mostly about the costs, noise level, and the bokeh. You have to make some compromises when you choose FF, APS-H (1D series only), APS-C.

If you are not going to commit, you can consider 7D, which is a good camera with APS-C sensor and you don't have to worry about lenses.

As for the flashes, if you don't need features, 430EX should be good enough for most. I'm not a Canon user, so I don't have first hand experience.

goldfries has written a good comparison article here.

Canon Speedlite 580EX II and 430EX II Review at goldfries.com

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I tried the Sigma 10-20 mm on the Nikon (Chai's!) and the Tokina 11-16 mm f/2.8 on both the Nikon D300 and the Canon 7D, and I must say that the Tokina is a far superior lens.

The Tokina 11-16mm has better low-light capability due to its larger aperture. It also has far less distortion than the Sigma 10-20mm. I highly recommend you go with the Tokina, even though the zoom range is a tad short.

6. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Adrian: The Tokina is a tad 'soft' at the edges though.

As for the question, I'd go with the older body which by its own right is really already an awesome camera. And the leftovers goes into some glass and the external flash.

7. Adrian Wong

You can always stop down to "fix" that. It's easier to fix that problem than the distortion in the Sigma.

8. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Well, ultra wide lens would be distorted anyway at the edges. And actually it's easier to fix lens distortion on software vs soft edges which you have to stop down and thus sort of missing the point of getting a fast lens in the first place. Why buy an f2.8 lens when you have to step down to f4-5.6 to get sharp images?

9. Adrian Wong

Haha.. I'm very lazy to process my photos! :haha:

I can live with the distortion. It's what you would expect from a wide angle lens. The edge softness isn't that bad IMHO.

But either way, I think it's best for Ishtim to compare both lens and see which he prefers. I compared the Tokina on both the Nikon D300 and the Canon 7D and I must say it produces better shots on the Canon 7D... :think:

10. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Good discussion...

Now that I have been reading alot of material, there is also a rumor :roll: that a 7D Mk II is in the works perhaps released late 2012. :wall: I would consider it, but I know if I do not act on a purchase when I am "approved" to do so, the window will close and the funds will be reallocated to something my wife wants :hug: or another nice holiday (without new camera). :doh:

A co-worker has the original 5D, but uses it primarily for landscape photos. I'll see what glass he uses for wide angle. I wonder If he would try the my 10-22 on his body just for grins. :D

11. Chai

Get 14-24. Low distortion and great sharpness from f2.8. :thumb:

Forget about Sigma 10-20 on a FF camera. I've tried and it doesn't work on all the zoom range. See this sample which will be similar. In fact, I don't think Canon allows EF-S on FF camera.

Tech ARP - The Nikon D700 DX Crop Mode Guide

Tokina 11-16 is a newer lens and it is the best choice for cropped DSLR.

12. Adrian Wong

I heard about that as well. But not sure if it's worth waiting or splurging on. Prices for the Canon 7D have dropped quite a bit, if I'm not mistaken.

I just checked the price of the Canon 7D a few days ago for a relative. They quoted me RM 4,200 (US$ 1,377) for the body, and RM 5,930 (US$ 1,944) with the 15-85mm kit lens.

13. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

14. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Hehe! I did see that. I still have a dedicated CCD for astro stuff. My intentions here are to replace my aging 300D a.k.a. Digital Rebel for every day use. Lately, I am into wild bird photos using telephoto (430 EX II arrives today! :dance: ). I will post some pics ASAP...

15. Chai

If you are into wird birds, you may want to stick to cropped sensors. Long lens are really expensive...

16. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Long (fast) lenses are really expensive.:faint:

I am currently eyeing the newer f/2.8 120-300mm Sigma. I really like my 70-200 even with the 2X TC it seems pretty crisp as long as you have good lighting.!!!
    Going to start new thread...