APPLE 30" DISPLAY-WHAT CARD?! ATI?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by andersonson, Dec 23, 2008.

1. andersonson

andersonson Newbie

PLEASE HELP! i have a g5 power mac, which is 4 years old now and recently upgraded my monitor to a 30 apple display. it works and the images come up-however, the picture is not HD. after contacting apple they think that it is probably because i need to upgrade my graphics card. does it need to be an hd graphics card? does anybody know what will be compatible with this system as it isn't one of the new g5 power macs but i think it should be more than capable to handle hd!

here are 2 possibles. . .

N-VIDIA GE FORCE 6600 or
    ATI RADEON X800 XT (MAC EDITION)

or something else? any ideas as to what i need would be really really appreciated!!!! thanks

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Do you know what graphics card are you using now?

3. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

pciture not hd?maybe the resolution depends on the gpu..like Chai mention, you need to provide us what is the current gpu you're using...those card you mention, kinda hard to find already :faint:

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

The 30" Apple display should require a dual-DVI connector to fully support its resolution. You need to upgrade to a graphics card that has dual-DVI connectors.

5. Chai

Oh yeah, totally forgot about that.

6. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

well,err most newer gpu comes with dual dvi right?

7. Adrian Wong

I think only the mid-range cards onwards would support dual-DVI. :think:

8. Chai

I think some of the early generation DVI cards might not support Dual Link DVI.

9. andersonson

andersonson Newbie

hey guys, really appreciate the comments.i posted a similar thread on an apple forum and people agreed that it needs to be a dual link compatible card so i'll try and find one.any ideas on ones which will work with an old g5?

10. Adrian Wong

Yeah, some earlier cards do not support dual-linked DVI.

11. Adrian Wong

Any recent graphics card model would support dual-linked DVI. For example, the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT and newer... or the ATI Radeon 4000 series... :beer:

12. andersonson

andersonson Newbie

the only worry i have with that is that apple say that the newer macs run
    on intel processors and it may not be compatible (my old machine) with the newer cards. please tell me that the ones you have mentioned would work!i'm sure they would be but not definate!

13. Adrian Wong

Don't worry. The DVI support has NOTHING to do with the CPU. It is a graphics card feature. The CPU can NOT affect it in any way.

In any case, you can rest assured because I've tried many GeForce cards and they all work beautifully with Intel and AMD processors. :beer:

14. Chai

He's actually talking about Mac.

15. Adrian Wong

I know he's talking about the Mac. The dual-DVI support has nothing to do with whether it's a PC or a Mac.

If I'm not mistaken, NVIDIA is specifically selling a GeForce 8800 GT for the new Macs. Can consider that card.

16. andersonson

andersonson Newbie

brilliant, well i'll have a look on nvidia and then let you know which one just before i buy so you can give it the go ahead, at last, i'm fially getting somewhere! thanks again

17. Adrian Wong

No problem! Let us know how it goes! :thumb:

18. cman

cman Newbie

But is G5 AGP.. or PCI express?

19. Chai

It depends which model is he using.

20. cman

cman Newbie

Im a friend of andersonson, and i think the MAC he has.
    Has a AGP connection, if so, what do you guys thing would be a good card that displays HD?... I beleave there rare?