ATI 4850 benchmark

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by Chai, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

2. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Hmm, does this actually mean that the newer ATI cards are catching up with Nvidia's? Prices seem tempting here :D

3. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Looking good so far THX for the info Chai :D

4. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

I think so. For the first time in about a year, I feel that it's worth buying a new graphics card :haha:

5. Chai

I can't wait to see 4870, especially if it's selling at the previous 3870 launch pricing! That's like half the price of Nvidia's GT280.

6. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

i haven't finish trashing the 9800GTX and now all this comes.

:D HD4850 should be with me next week.....HOPEFULLY!

7. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

the 4800 is impressive. single slot, single power connector, but like the 3850 it's hot! still, i think the GeForce 9800GTX might be the eventual winner due to NV's work in developing the cuda framework and they are pushing it very hard. some very impressiev applications are in the work like x264 encoding app. badaboom etc.

alot of interesting apps for the G92 family of card are coming up ( including geforce 8800 gt/gts512)

8. Chai

That is true. I hope they continue to support older cards. If only they have voltage and clockspeed scaling for G92...

9. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

This is a really good card, especially when it is priced at $199.

10. Mac Daddy

Yes ATI needed that price point to remain competitive with the 9600gt :D

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Right now, the GPU acceleration of PhysX may be in its infancy but when it really kicks off, NVIDIA will have something really solid to hang ATI with.

Probably why they launched PhysX for their GPUs even though just two applications support it at the moment. They probably want to steal as much wind from the Radeon HD 4850/4870's sails as they can.

12. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

4850 is already much faster than 9600GT and t's faster than 9800GTX in most cases. In fact, it even managed to come close to GTX 260 in one or two benchmarks.

13. Mac Daddy

Depends on the power and efficiency of the GPU. Keep in mind the G92 will not O/C as well as the G94 and not familiar with the GPU on the 4850.

If you check the PhysX thread on this forum the Vantage scores posted were run on Gens Wolfdale E8200 with an 8800GTS and mine using an E6550 with a 9600gt 512 750/1900/950 GPU max@45C. I am not even pushing this 9600gt yet ;)

14. Chai

My G92 overclocks quite well, more than 100MHz on the core easily.

15. Mac Daddy

And what are your temps ?

16. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

4850 is already as fast as 9800GTX+ (wins some and loses some benchmarks, minimal difference). There is no way for a G94 to come anywhere close to a stock 4850/9800GTX+, unless you voltmod it and overclock it much further. Keep in mind that 9800GTX+ already runs at 738/1836/2200.

Most 8800GTS 512 can reach 700-750MHz range on the core easily with stock cooler. Some even manage to hit 800MHz+, perhaps with better cooling.

17. Chai

My 8800GTS could do 800MHz easily. The only problem now is the RAM getting really hot. I bought some RAMsinks, but never get a chance to install it yet. Good cooling is all it takes to reach higher speed, since the stock cooler is really weak, and I'm not taking about LN2.

18. Mac Daddy

Who mentioned GTX ?

On the 4850 I want to see some more benchmarks from another source. Let see maybe if Lacus can post some. Don't get me wrong I hope these new ATI cards kick a** but I want to see more than one set of results before going to crazy :D

Yep sure it could and so could this 9600gt easily with an aftermarket cooler. What GPU are you going to O/C the core 100MHz at still only reach 45C under load ... seriously ?

19. Mac Daddy

OK before we get way off topic here lets post some facts.

Test system in Chai's link for the 4850 benchmarks:
    PC Perspective - AMD Radeon HD 4850 512MB Preview - RV770 Discovered

3DMark6 scores using this setup:
    PC Perspective - AMD Radeon HD 4850 512MB Preview - RV770 Discovered

This 9600GT at stock speeds on an E6550 scores close to 11k. And I can't match 11099 by O/Cing it? Lets put this card in PC Perspective's test system and I bet the score in 3DMark6 will be almost identical to the 4850.

20. Chai

You are forgetting that 9800GTX can be overclocked too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.