Auto gate

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ZuePhok, May 5, 2009.

1. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

A question for those who stay in KL.

Do you guys think the installation of auto-gate can reduce the risk of being mugged, and in the worst scenario, getting hurt by the robbers at your place?

My personal point of view is, No. these bastards are so daring and desperate that they will do just about anything to get the money, even if you can avoid the first step of opening your gate: getting out of your car.

What do you think?

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i think it only reduced the chance slightly.

instead of getting robbed outside your house. u get robbed inside. have to take precautions.

doors still lock, close the gate first. gate/fence is hard to climb. etc.

3. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Well - auto gates poses some risks, if one is not careful. I heard a case of a young person who crushed to death by these gates. Dunno true or not - but it's better to stay clear when these are operating.

About those muggers - yes - you can actually see the Closed-Circuit Camera Footage of a Cheras home (there's a youtube there too) who got robbed by those muggers. In that video - the woman who was seen to quickly shut the entrance but unfortunately, the robbers overpowered them. :evil:

Best solution is frequent police patrols, and well-lit areas. These low-life robbers will ever think thrice before they ever put the feet on to that radius.

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Auto gates definitely won't prevent robbery from happening. You just have to be careful not to turn off the engine and get down from the car before you are sure it's safe. They can still follow you behind the car before you close the gate.

5. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Without autogate: turn off engine->take out car key->unlock gate->go to car->put in car key-> start engine-> drive-in->turn off engine->take out car key->close and lock gate

Autogate: reach home-> press remote open->drive-in-> press remote close gate-> turn off engine.

Hmm... I love my autogate. Either that or get a maid ..

6. Chai

Well, I will leave the house key in the car, so it's separated from the car keys. That will avoid turning off the engine.

But the most convinient thing about auto gate is when it's raining...

7. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

my point is that, even if u could drive in safely, auto gate wouldn't stop muggers from entering into your house. they just need a block of wood to block the gate. walk in, show u the axe, and that's it.

8. Chai

No one mention about being safer with auto gate. That's the point. :mrgreen:

9. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Gate keys and car keys are separate .. but leaving your car engine on with you going to open the gate, someone would just come and drive away your car..

10. Chai

If someone points a knife at you, that's not going to prevent them from taking your car. :lol:

11. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

lol, thats what i notice my friend doing..the same way Mr WD is doing :p..no wonder i was like,why is my friend waiting in the car...until i actually ask him the reason :haha: oooh, just bang that fellow with the car :p...ah, power of autogate >_<..gonna install a IP CCTV soon kua :p...check from the notebook or phone b4 heading in XD

12. Chai

I also look into my side mirror before I turn off the engine and leave my car, just to make sure no one is following. And make sure the gate close properly, so they can't run so easily, since many of them block the gate from closing.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  13. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Frankly, the autogate is mainly for convenience. It can help improve security, but it really depends on the situation, and how you "use" it.

It's not foolproof for sure. I love my Melaka house's autogate but anyone can unlock it and steal stuff from your front yard. In fact, someone just did that to my tenant, who lost his motorcycle recently. :wall: :wall:

The best thing about autogate though is that it allows you to open and close the gate without getting out of your car. To avoid getting mugged or letting thieves in with you, scan the area before opening the gate. If you see any suspicious characters around (e.g. a few Mat Rempit -> motorcyclist gangsters), hold off and wait. See what they do.

Make sure no one suspicious is close enough to rush in before you can drive your car in and close the gate. Normally, this isn't a problem during the day but it can be a problem at night. Would be useful to hook some lights to the autogate so that activating the gate will also activate those lights.

It is also a very good idea (if you are not alone) to have your companion keep a watch behind as you drive in, just to make sure no one sneaks in. Also, do not get out of the car until the gate closes and you are sure no one got in with you.

Sadly, this is something we all have to be wary of these days, with the crime rate going up like nobody's business and the police busy catching politicians from the opposition parties and people wearing black shirts. Talk about misplaced priorities... :mad: :mad: :mad:

14. weitatt

weitatt Newbie

Most people when they install auto gate they are just concern about price. they forget to consider the safety of the autogate system.

Firstly the choice of gate type makes a difference . the safest would be sliding type gate. sliding type gate can be made heavy, driven by a 240 AC motor and when the gate motor stop the gate is securely locked into place. If you're installing a swing arm gate system then make sure you install a separate selonoid lock to make sure that the gate is locked to the ground. Depending on the arm gate itself to keep the door secure is not safe as the arm gate can be easily forced by hand. The worse kind of gate would be folding gates as they depend on the running track to keep the door in place, all you need to do is to lift the gate off the tracks and you can easily force the gate open.

Another precaution that you should take, when going outstation lock your gate with a regular lock. Auto gates are very easy to open as for some one who has access to your control cirucit board. i.e. someone can climb over your fence, go to the gate pillar and open the 4 plastics screws around your control board enclosure and short the open terminal on the control board to open the gate.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2009
  15. Adrian Wong

Hmm... Yeah, I suppose the sliding type gate must be heavy. My Melaka house uses a really light one, and you can actually LIFT it off the gears! :wall:

16. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

is that post spam or what. hahaha there is a link in there. mysterious......

17. Adrian Wong

Sounds like one, first post and with a link. :)

But he makes some good points, so I'm removing the link so we can move on. :thumb:

18. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Sai... I'm thinking of installing auto-gate for my new house. Was thinking of using back the default swing-open gates. Somemore using back the default gates will cost me around 1.7k already. Waaa... sai... bo lui la!

Hmm... :think:

19. Adrian Wong

Well, that depends on the design of the gate area actually.

For terrace houses, it might not be advisable to use the sliding type if you want to maximize the entrance as the autogate requires space to slide out of the way. To circumvent this, some terrace houses have two smaller gates with a column in the middle, so you can park two cars in the front yard.

If you do not like the double sliding gates, then the swing type of gates (whether folding or not) is the best choice for terrace houses because they allow you to maximize the limited amount of frontage. You can still using the sliding type if you don't mind the entrance being limited to about 45% of the frontage.

I think a single large sliding gate is only suitable for houses with large frontage, typically end-lot or corner lot terrace houses or semi-detached houses or bungalows.

20. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Haha... like that... then swing also swing la... A bit crazy also the price. About RM700+ for the wiring alone... haha... but RM1.7 or 1.8k still ok I guess. :think: