Before and after.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by The_YongGrand, Apr 8, 2006.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

When installing Windows, I had forgotten to press F6 and then put my SATA floppy and install SATA drivers. I don't have one SATA HDD yet, but just curious, how to install the SATA drivers without going back to the setup and press F6 and then install again? Can I just pop in the diskette and install it directly? :nuts: :wave:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If you can install on the SATA drives without even installing the drivers, then you should not have to worry about that anymore.

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

:confused: .. ahhaha...

drivers are only to detect the hard disk i think :think:..

i know mine i dont need drivers :think:

depending on the controller i guess :think:

4. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

err..the floppy is the raid driver..

coz if single sata doesnt need any driver at all..

5. ALstonLoong

ALstonLoong Newbie

if your sata is from the north bridge , u dont have to install any sata driver ( at least for intel, dont know about AMD but should be the same) .

6. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

shouldnt it be the southbridge ? :p

7. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

if using SATA controller from separate chip like silicon image or marvell you need the disket.. if controller integrated like intel chipset or nforce4 chipset no need the disket driver.. mien from silicon image so need disket, if dont install hardisk wont appear.. setup will say that no hdd install..

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Unfortunately, u r worng..

it depends. VIA VT8237 onchip SATA controller requires the driver to be loaded prior to OS installation.. doest matter whether it's single driver configuration or RAID 0/1/3/5/10 or 2097650934790525454545236466776. the same goes to AHCI (NCQ) controller on Intel ICH7, SiS onchip sata and ULI onchip NCQ capable sata controller (M1575. etc)

its purpose is to allow the installer to operate the storage controller (be it sata, pata or RAID) as it needs to copy the installation files from the CD to the drive. It doesn't depend on your drive configuration. As long as the OS installer fails to recognise the controller, be it native or onboard implementation, you will have to load the driver before starting the installation.

The_YongGrand: if you can install the OS without first loading any drivers, it means ur storage controller can be recognised by the standard IDE driver (or any other stock drivers) that comes with the OS installer. once the installation is completed, go grab the latest controller driver that's available on the manufacturer's site in order to obtain the best possible storage performance.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

There's a reason for the standard OS drivers to detect SATA. But I can't remember...

10. SilentBotts

SilentBotts Newbie

He doesn't have a SATA drive yet; he is asking if he needs to reinstall the OS to install the drivers if he does get one.

I have never needed to install any kind of drivers for a SATA drive, but I guess on some boards the SATA is tied in with the raid controller and you may have to install those drivers, whether you can do it after OS installation I know not.

11. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I still remember when I installed my SATA hdd. It cannot detect when I plugged it in to my exisiting system. I had to install the RAID driver which I presume had the SATA driver as well coz after that, my system was able to detect the hdd. :D

12. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Fok is totally right.