Delayed Write Failed issues

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by antmic, Nov 21, 2011.

1. antmic

antmic Newbie

Hey guys.. long time !! i hope you can help me on this

I have had a 320GB Maxtor Sata HDD for about 3 years and lately ive been having some issues.. it seems to work fine at first then all of a sudden i get a warning that the delayed write failed and then basically the hard disk is empty/not detected.. now i restart the computer and it sometimes comes back and sometimes it doesnt ( i tend to get better results when i completely unplug the computer. re plug and turn it on.). when the computer does detect the hard disk it seems that it works fine . i can transfer files in and out ( im actually backing up as we speak as i dont really trust it).

now heres where i need your input, I'm not really looking into a new HDD as i have 1tb external storage and I can manage just fine without it.. but i have been told that this could be because of my powersupply being too weak or losing output due to wear etc. is this right? im very tight on cash lately so i dont want to splurge on new parts i dont need but if its gonna mess with my system then id rather fix it straight away
    heres specs for you to judge

Gigabyte P35-DS3P motherboard
    Antec Basic Power 550 plus PSU
    Intel Core 2 duo E4500
    3GB DDR2 RAM (not sure what brand)
    BFG Geforce GTX260 (896MB)
    Maxtor SATA 320GB
    Hitachi DeskStar SATA 500GB
    Seagate IDE 40GB

2. antmic

antmic Newbie

......anyone?

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Check the cable??

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like the HDD is dying. I wouldn't take the risk if I were you.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, if you have a couple of HDDs running at the same time, you can quickly test that theory out by removing one or two of them and see if it "solves" the problem. If the delayed write error goes away, then your PSU is probably the cause. If not, then I would really consider copying out the data, just in case the drive fails.

6. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Did you check the smart?

7. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Let's put it this way. HDD is the only device in a PC that won't give you any problem under normal circumstances. I've had more problems with USB keyboard than HDD not getting detected/not working.

It's time to move your data out and RMA the drive.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011