getting a new video card

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by caz21206, Dec 10, 2006.

1. caz21206

caz21206 Newbie

im going to get a e-GeForce Nvidia 6200 256MB 64Bit AGP 8x video card because im now using vista and i need a good video card to use the aero interface. but currently on my motherboard(Biostar P4M80-M4) i have onboard video. so i was wondering if i get the e-GeForce Nvidia 6200 video card if it wont use my ram memory like the onboard video. and also if it matters if i have a crt monitor. also i was wondering if my motherboard only supports DDR SDRAM and i want a video card which uses DDR2 or GDDR2, GDDR3 means that they wont work on my motherboard.

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i see that its a Turbo Cache version.

dont worry bout what memory it uses.. it doesnt matter.

all i know it comes with 64MB onboard. up to 256MB shared using the system RAM

maybe you can try something like a Geforce 7-series card ?:think: just a suggestion.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yes, once you use the NVIDIA GeForce 6200, your onboard graphics chip will be disabled, and it won't use your system RAM.

It doesn't matter whether you are using a CRT or LCD monitor.

And it doesn't matter whether your graphics card uses DDR2 or GDDR3. The memory on your graphics card will be exclusively used by the graphics card and will in no way, interfere or be influenced by the system RAM.

Hope that helps you some! :)

4. Adrian Wong

Oops, forgot about TurboCache. Yeah, it will still use some memory, when it runs out of graphics memory.

The 64MB graphics memory is quite limited. It's more than enough for AeroGlass, but not enough for many 3D games.

5. caz21206

caz21206 Newbie

its not a turbo cache version its the normal version

6. caz21206

caz21206 Newbie

thank you so much for your advice and no its not a turbo cache its a normal version and its 256MB but Memory Interface is 64-Bit

7. Adrian Wong

Okay, if it's not the TurboCache version, then you should be good to go. :thumb:

8. caz21206

caz21206 Newbie

thanks also whats Memory Interface ? because I know like Memory size but i dont really know what memory interface is

9. Adrian Wong

The memory interface is the width of the bus between the graphics processor and the memory chips. The wider the interface, the more data can flow between the memory chips and the graphics processor.

64-bit is a relatively narrow memory interface. High-end cards can have memory interfaces of up to 384-bits wide.

10. caz21206

caz21206 Newbie

ok thanks so much for all that advice but i have one more question i have decided to get this card http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurationDetails.jspa?productConfigurationId=967 and it says the chipset is a GeForce 6200 A and i didnt know if it was different from a GeForce 6200 chipset because im not trying to order a wrong video card so i was wondering if you knew if it was different from the ordinary chipset

11. Adrian Wong

The link you gave me is for the PCIe version.

But AFAIK, NVIDIA only has two versions of the GeForce 6200 - a standard AGP version, and a PCIe version that supports TurboCache.

The A probably stands for AGP, not that it's used by NVIDIA AFAIK. :think:

12. caz21206

caz21206 Newbie

ok thank you and sorry the link was this one http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurationDetails.jspa?productConfigurationId=79772
    but are you saying NVIDIA only has Turbocache for GeForce 6200?

13. Adrian Wong

14. caz21206

caz21206 Newbie

thank you so much for your advice you helped me alot

15. Adrian Wong

No problem! :D

Don't forget to join our contests! :D

16. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I'm not sure whether a 6200 can actually run on Vista with all the glass thing, but let me check the requirements - they said at least a minimum 64MB with DirectX 8.1...

But I'm sure too Vista has some options for users to go classic WinXP or the 98 feel instead. :D

17. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

i would highly suggest go for a dedicated memory gpu, since Vista takes quite a lot of system ram and you really dont' want to use that precious ram for vid as well. Heck even 6600 maybe even a better chioce.

18. Adrian Wong

Yeah, the GeForce 6600 would be a better choice. But if he doesn't play 3D games, the 6200 should be enough for AeroGlass.

Even Jason had no problem running AeroGlass on his notebook's GeForce Go 5200.

19. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

LOL! If you are not running Aeroglass, might as well use back WinXP. :haha: That's probably the only reason to get Vista...

20. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

hahahah, Chai, that's a bit over simplify things:). There are other neat feature in Vista: sidebar, security:liar: :think: , annoying constantly user pop ups:).

Well, I guess 6200 is fine, but with the requirement of Vista on the desktop ram, I think it would be nice to have dedicated ram rather than share with the system ram.