Guess

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Trinity, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Plus rep to whoever can guess what I made this for.... many years ago.:whistle:

Attached Files:

• 4011.jpg
      4011.jpg
      File size:
      100.8 KB
      Views:
  2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Hmmm two LED lights blinking with fitted with a battery. The variable resistor controls the frequency?

Googled the chip and found that it's a dual input nand gate.

3. Trinity

Close...:)

But no.

Try again.:wave:

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I reckon that its for that flash light LED. The Luxion star one I believe? Didn't you leave it running for quite a while?

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

fan controller? lol

6. peaz

Hmmm beeping sound?

NAND Gates, variable resistors...
    Something that on-offs at the frequency that's adjustable eh?

1 person likes this.
  7. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Thatchip is a CD4011 ... quad 2-input NAND gates.

That configuration could be an astable multivibrator (example: typical blinking/flashing lights) or either a PWM (pulse-width-modulation) controller set (for the fans, lights, whatever) to save energy and battery life. Some modern ultra-bright torchlights actually use PWM if I'm not mistaken except they wouldn't use a CD4011 chip or a 555 for it, but with the classic 2-transistor, 2-capacitor network.

If I'm correct about the astable multivibrator thingy... well, this thing also function as a bleeper. You also can make a little electronic organ out of it... but it squeezes out square waves... so the sound could be a (little) bit rough.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  8. Trinity

:roll:

Peaz, The_YongGrand,,, Correct! A buzzer!:clap: :clap:

I made the thing back in the 80's. I found it while I was looking thru some old stuff, So I got it out to see if it still worked, Chip was dead.(RIP 4011)...:cry: :haha:

I had a spare, so I popped it in and it works again.:D I have it hooked to a piezo element, And adjust it to put out "super" hi pitch. What for you ask... I used to take to school and turn it on in class. It was fun to see some of the other kids look around to see where it was coming from but no one could tell.:haha:

Attached Files:

9. The_YongGrand

Wowzers... I didn't know that you can actually make an astable multivibrator from NAND gates. Only thing I can make now is using a 555 timer, 2-transistor-2-capacitor system and even op-amps! Well, I haven't really learned Digital Electronics in my college yet, so I'm not pretty familiar with the gates. :clap:

Other than the buzzer, if you know how to hook it up to a few switches, some variable resistors and some capacitors, you can actually construct a mini-organ (but that one doesn't sound that pleasent - just like those cheap 99ยข kiddy toy organs you find in the store), or even the PWM controller set.

I'm wondering could I make two of these, turn them into some sort of organ, and connect these outputs to the op-amp summing amplifier and make polyphonic sounds? :haha:

trin - did you study electronics in college, or just a hobby? :mrgreen:

edit: Wow trin - your writing is really neat! :)

10. Trinity

11. Trinity

Your thinking about that cheap led flashlight I left on to see how long the thing would emit light, The batteries just gave out last month (RIP Batteries)... After almost 3 years!:shock:

I do have 2 one watt luxeon stars running all the time. A red and a green. But those are powered by an ac adaptor. Trin will see if they really last 5 years...:)

BTW, Case modders should look into those Luxeon Star LED's. They would make for some AWESOME case lights!:thumb:

Luxeon LEDs - Products & Accessories

12. peaz

LOL. it was just a matter of deductions. :D Remembered my old chaser LEDs project back in school. used some NAND gates chip too. and the variable resistor was another clue. :D Whee!

13. Trinity

Chaser led's...:D

4017:wave:

14. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Well missed the guess but do love old CMOS technology takes me back to college in the 60's :D

Just kidding but made ya look 80's :thumb:

15. The_YongGrand

Yes, a 4017 for those chasing LEDs. You can also make an electronic dice out of it (you modify the outputs), or a good roulette game kit (with another chip with gates). I once had a roulette game built with these chips and played it during the Chinese New Year! :haha:

edit: and the forrest mims book is very good! The layout and the explainations are extremely simple! Seen the sample pages in Amazon... it's pretty cool for a layman. :)

And including engineering students like me too. :)