How to circumvent SecuROM in Spore?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Chai, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Although this topic touches cracking games, but we have allowed this discussion to proceed. But we will lock the thread immediately if it goes out of hand.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  2. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

...shurely somebody knows how to do this? Please? I'm getting very dirty looks from my wife who is not entirely up to speed on why I'm not even installing the new game she bought me...

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I think that cracks for it do already exist. But to complicate it, this game has a lot of online content. Cracking it will allow you to play the game offline but the online component would be lost to you. :think:

4. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

So far I have read of no way to bypass the activation. You don't need a fixed exe as you don't have to have the dvd in the drive once it is installed and the supposed root-kit is because of a null byte in a string of characters in one of the registry entries for spore.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Off-topic a little but I think legit users are being unnecessarily punished. :mad:

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yes it is. And this implementation of SecuROM is different from the Bioshock one that I wrote about. At least with the Bioshock one, they were immediately receptive to the customer's outcry (which in itself paled to what is being shown towards Spore) and immediately increased the cap to 5. The huge difference is that they stated from the begininning that they would eventually patch it to remove SecuROM altogether (which I believe they have already done) AND once you uninstall, you automatically get that allotment 'restored' to you.

To think that online content would have sufficed for these greedy bastards. Having online content itself is a way to circumvent piracy (and promote sales). This trully Draconion method is punishing the loyal buying customers.

I wonder if all of the upcoming EA releases will be like this. If so, there will be a LOT of games I am not touching. I know for a fact that EA is pulling the same BS on Red Alert 3 but they are generous enough to let you install it 5 times... :roll:

Hahaha. If anything, they are helping people look to a certain Swedish counter part for help.

Seriously, I fully expect this kinda BS from the dinosaurs in the Music industry, but certainly not from within the tech industry.

And for the record, I don't condone piracy. But at the same time, I can't say I get a warm fuzzy feeling each time I drop my hard earned cash and some publishers make me feel like I'm on probation or something. Plus having the disc in the drive when it doesn't load anything from it is pretty stupid.

A good read: Spore DRM could kill PC gaming | Hardware 2.0 | ZDNet.com

As for games, Steam is fast becoming my preferred distribution method.

Sorry, had to b*tch about about how fugged up this thing is getting...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  7. Chai

I don't really like Steam, but I think it's one of the better way to fight piracy.

8. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

How so? It uses a similar version of SecuROM.

I don't think 2K has released it yet at-least for those who bought the retail version, strolling around on their website, I couldn't find no such patch. Also the automatic deactivation only works for those who use Steam. People who have retail copies have to download a "revoke tool".

Out of curiosity why is it your preferred method? Steam is nothing but one HUGE drm machine.

9. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

i think it's better you leave it alone..i read up somewhere that it mentions pirated/cracked game will be allow to run 3 times only or something like that =x...i think the secure rom thingie dissapears when 1 uninstall the game?

10. Chai

Nuff said. :mrgreen:

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

#1. Steam has SecuROM true. But it does not have any limits. I can simply go to a friends PC, install the client, download and play the game there and log off. SecuROM is used ONLY so that my friend can log into his/her steam account but cannot play the installed game unless if they have that game on their account too. I can install it as many times as I want for as long as I want. :mrgreen: Plus, it updates everything for me. :mrgreen: It does not phone home, it does not limit my install numbers, it only activates the code once in the beginning to bind a game to my account, and I don't have to plop a disc in to play. It connects to a central server and all things considered, it is the lesser evil of content protection.

#2. Activation limits removed on BioShock for the PC - 2K Forums

Like I said, removed (the activation limits). :mrgreen: They promised it from the start.

#3. Disk > Steam > SecuROM 7/Starforce infested crap.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  12. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

1.)That is a horrible way to choose, we deserve better.

2.)Ok, yes the activation limit was removed, however should something happen and you can't activate the game it is still nothing more than a coaster.

3.)A disk with no drm, accept no substitute.

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

While I agree with you (perfect world with no DRM), realistically, it is not going to happen soon (hence the lesser evils). :mrgreen:

As long as it doesn't inconvenience me, doesn't intrude, doesn't limit, respects privacy, and most of all, does not treat me like a criminal, I could really care less what they do. Steam currently fits the bill for me (as opposed to discs).

Stardock is the only one that has no protection, but I can't say they make the games I like either.

but we are headed way off topic.

14. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

I don't have any problem with having to have the disk in the drive. But I do have a problem with not being able to (easily - i.e. no protection at all) make a backup of my legally paid-for disks, so that I can protect myself against the original aging and degrading, or losing/breaking the original. I have a legal right to do this, and it absolutely confounds me that anyone thinks a publisher has any legal basis whatsoever to deny me that right.

I have a massive problem with rootkitting. Seriously - are you on #@$%ing drugs? Who thinks this is OK?

I have another massive problem with limiting installs. I rebuild my machines all the time. SOP. So don't be stupid, dear publisher.

If a publisher/industry wants to eliminate piracy as best as can be done (there will always be some pirates), they need to:

1. Have no DRM on a CD whatsoever. ANY DRM serves only to ENCOURAGE piracy. In no way, at all, in any concieveable universe, does DRM decrease piracy - and in all universes, it increases it.

2. Require a CD in the drive if you like. Don't care. So long as you let me make backups without any BS in my face. It should flat out be illegal for a publiser to interfere with my right to make a backup in the first place.

3. Require accounts to use online/server content. Allow only one simultaneous logon per account.

That's it. I bet my life on the notion that following those 3 steps would result in vastly less piracy than what is currently happening to Spore.

Stop effing around with this DRM crap that serves no purpose other than to drive legitimate consumers (like me) to piracy and DRM-skirting measures. Follow the 3 golden rules above an enjoy greater sales, greater margins, and happier customers.

15. Chai

I quite agree with you, especially on 3. That's what they did with Steam, and seems to work fine.

16. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Crysis Warhead just came out (guess who the publisher is). I might go with the Steam version. :|

17. Midicow

Midicow Newbie

actually if you use a valid cdkey to install.. you can simply get one of the version 1.01 cracks running around and overwrite the sporebin binary with that.. when you start it up it doesn't ask for any drm or securom or whatnot, and you can logon ingame like normal.

Other than that.. unless you happen to have a particularly good knowledge of asm and/or want to do some hack'n'slash with wine and a linuxy or mac type os.. nothing comes to mind.

18. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

Red Alert 3 will bundle the Securom with 5 install limit which i hate it a lot. Unless if it allowed you to restore your limit after you uninstall it, i am fine with that. But what i heard from many complained is that these Securom rom can cause problem to your Window. this is the question i am seeking because i got my legit Kane Warth and my window xp is totally mess up recently, im not sure if it was the cause of it.