LCD Recommendations

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by Dashken, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Ermm... any recommendations? Budget is around RM1K+. I'm thinking between Dell SP2208WFP or Dell E248WFP 24" Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor. :think:

What I need and will use it for:
    - high resolution
    - games
    - movies
    - saves space

Why I want to get one - Well, my father is using a 17" CRT and he said that he finds the font too small to his liking. So, I'm thinking of handing him my 19" Philips CRT and getting a LCD.

Btw, I'm broke. Will pay this off credit if possible. :haha: Ok, maybe not that broke, but I'm sure after I get a LCD, I'll nearly be. :mrgreen:

2. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

You should buy a new one for your father wat....

btw not sure Dell still have sale on the LCD at this period or not and go for Dell E248WFP 24":thumb:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Both are TN panels. I think it's easy to choose right? 24" is 1920x1200, high Full HD res.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Haha.. Yeah, I would definitely go for the 24" wide panel. Incidentally, if you are thinking about it, do NOT get the new 24" UltraSharp Dell monitor. I heard from Jason that while it offers a higher colour gamut, it has major ghosting problems.

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Har? Like that ah? :mrgreen:

Okie... Dell E248WFP 24" it is then! :dance:

Now, I need to get a credit card that can purchase online or reactivate my virtual mastercard. Hmm... :think:

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm? I thought you have a credit card???

7. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yup, but only Direct Access. Cannot do online purchase one. They also provide me with virtual Mastercard but I've never used before, forgotten the code already. :mrgreen:

Don't see the need to get more cards. :D

8. Chai

Someone is LICH!

9. Brian

Brian Newbie

I own this monitor and can confirm this, but I don't see it in games(haven't played many games though), but you see this when you scroll quickly through some forums, you get this green thing dragging behind it. Doesnt occur on this forum though, just certain colour combinations I guess.

Personally, I don't notice it much now, and I highly recommend a 24" LCD to anyone for the resolution alone, going from a 17" CRT to a 24" LCD is one of the best decisions, computer wise I've ever made

10. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Once in a long while only, unlike you... ALL THE TIME! :p

11. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Dashken Bro go for the two-four :wave:

12. Mac Daddy

LICH[6] :mrgreen:

13. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yeah! :wave: :beer:

My bank account is going to hurt deeply... I'm far from Chai's lichness. :cry:

14. Mac Daddy

Errm good on the two four :D

15. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Are you sure it's that bad? I used to have two S-PVA based 20" UltraSharp, which is basically the same as the 24" UltraSharp. Yes there are some ghosting, but it's definitely not that bad.

16. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

I'd definitely go for the 24" today.

As for ghosting vs higher gamut. I'd choose higher gamut anyday :D

17. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

24" not using S-IPS? :) I love my 2007WFP.

some say 16ms ghosting la this la that la, i think they never use 16ms LCD.

18. Brian

Brian Newbie

yeah, the 20" Dells now are on a panel lottery between S-IPS and S-PVA panels, the 24 and 27 ones use S-PVA and the 30 inch ones use S-IPS

personally, I'd love a 30 inch screen myself :)

19. Chai

Yup, 24" and 27" are definitely S-PVA.

I would love to have the new 3008WFP!

20. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Which one is better? The S or TN panels? Seems like TN panel is so common these days since it's much cheaper. okok... apparently S panel is better. :mrgreen:

But problem with the Dell E248WFP is its height is not adjustable. I wonder how high it will be. :think:

And what's with the rebate and Dell's Discount coupon? Can I get it anywhere for free? :shifty: