Malaysia's Space Travel

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by The_YongGrand, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Sure, I'm sure 25 million USD spent on ambition is better then say, better schools, or better welfare, or scholarships for the ones who aspire to do something, or better facilities for the needy (like say orphans). Right on! :thumb:

Plus for those new kids who had ambition when the finally get old enough to understand why this is so retarded, they will realize that they've been had. :)

But yea, 25 million USD is a bargain for that right? Especially when the country needs every penny for other things (apart from official's coffers that is).

If they wanted REAL ambition, then spend that 25 million on DEVELOPING and actual space agency INSTEAD of making a 'space tourism' agency. Make your own shit. 25 Million may not be enough, but it would put them WELL on their way to at least developing or 'pretending' that they're developing something.

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

EPIC LULZ :haha: :haha: :haha:

4. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

We could rather give a datuk-ship for people who has helped tons of communities in the country. Fixing roads, doing donations, getting everything done... :D

And, I would say it's a pretty good accomplishment if they launch a satelite which can give 100% BROADBAND coverage all OVER Malaysia and it doesn't care wherever you live in Malaysia, you get broadband.

Or, making vandal-proof toilet stalls. Or, making better universities.

I know, space journeys are fun and interesting, but since it's just a free air ticket, just keep it low for a moment. I heard from one source that the astronauts got their suits all pasted with Malaysia flag. Eh, one also enough lah... no need all over the spaceship. We really afraid that people all over the world gonna label them as "attention-seekers"!! :haha: :shock:

5. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

yes, a re-newed ambition of becoming an astronaut, but your partner at work totally forgot bout one thing...

ambition/dream in bolehland = HAnGAT HANGAT TAHI AYAM!

Najib: We can now stand taller - The Star Online
    WAHAHAHAHAH.. man it's like spending 500 biji on a beemer and then go around telling everyone "muh sausage is now 1INCH FATTER AND 5INCH LONGER! woooooooohooooooooooooooo..juicy, *****!"

"It is not easy to have a big pipe, I take this as a huge success!"

Also, why is he insisting on calling a proton as a benz? Participant means participant la..what astronaut? visit means visit la, what new dimension!?

6. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I loled too hard!! :haha: Hey, I forgot to add that yesterday's TV1's interview is like watching a comedy. Me and my bro lol-ed too hard watching these guys telling the whole world!:haha:

edit: checked the wikipedia: Angkasawan program wiki

I read and read and read about the making... and the research... and stumbled onto this:

Malaysian Food in Space - code FIS - Increase the variety and quality of food available to space travelers by identifying new food items (specifically typical Malaysian dishes) that are appropriate for consumption during space flight.

I cannot think of how any of the malaysian dishes could digest well in space when consumed. I thought when one goes to space, one should only eat foods which will work properly in the alimentary canal during space travel? Like those cereal bars, power bars, low-carb diet, and stuff like that?

Space travel food consumption

7. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

:rolleyes:

Wat about those low grade russian jets la?:mrgreen: Buy raptors...:p

8. pyroboy1911

pyroboy1911 Newbie

Well, i guess that will happen, this event will always being seen by younger generations as a step by Malaysia towards a more modern era. they will continue thinking that malaysia is really progressing, until they are old enough to realize that all the "achievements" by the malaysian government is actually nothing much to be proud of.

does this situation sound familiar to all of us? :doh:

Kenot say kenot la...so many excuse..

9. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

i wish my bolehland ministers could be this proud if SIA gave me a free ticket TERMASUK CUKAI to Africa.

I dreamt of it since I was ten, I think I will enjoy my journey to Africa, and the stay at the exotic Wakuku Walala Hotel.

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor: a small step for me, but an even smaller step for all malaysian!

man. 25million jsut to learn how to take taxi! THIS IS bolehhhh..

11. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

I doubt the US government would sell one of those to a non-allied country...let alone a Muslim country. :p :p :p

Besides most would probably be lost in training accident. :p :p :p

Actually I was surprised when they managed to get some F-18s some time ago, albeit it's old and less techno. But still.

12. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

In all fairness, we have to give him credit for passing the training. Not everyone can do that.

But is he really the best or the most suitable candidate Malaysia can send up? I really wonder...

If you check his "pedigree", you can see that he comes from a distinguished family of Datuks and Datins (Lords and Ladies). In Malaysia, that is likely to mean that he won it through the tremendous advantage of having "connections", rather than actual qualifications.

In all honesty, I don't think his effort deserves a Datukship (Lordship?). Give him a medal (Pingat) or something. But don't dilute the already worthless Datukship by giving it to someone just because he's the first at something. :hand:

13. Adrian Wong

IMHO, only for the next few weeks. Like all publicity stunts, it'll be forgotten as soon as the next hot thing comes along. :haha:

Seriously, many kids already have dreams of becoming astronauts. Even when I was young, I too dreamed of going to space. Heck, I spent a lot of time drawing what my rockets would look like! :haha:

Nah, you don't need to send someone to space just to "inspire" them. You just need to develop the ability to make their dreams come true. How likely do you think we are to sending our own men to space after our "spaceflight participant" goes up?

If we really want to inspire our children, we need to show that we are serious about achieving such dreams ourselves. It's pointless if we just buy our way there. If THAT works, why should the Indians and the Chinese spend so much time and money trying to develop their own space programme? They might as well just pay the Russians for a trip up, just like our "spaceflight participant". :hand:

14. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. The US will never sell the Raptors to Malaysia. Maybe to Singapore... but never to Malaysia. In any case, the Raptors will cost a lot more than US$900 million. :D

Anyway, the Russian jets are not only cheaper and more available (bunch of them in storage), the Russians are probably more amenable to bribing and under-the-counter deals. Corruption is a necessity when you deal with the Malaysian government. ;)

Just FYI, a Mongolian model-translator called Altantuya Shaariibuu was murdered and blown up with C4 by Malaysian police's UTK (special action unit, something like SWAT), allegedly at the behest of a political analyst who's a close friend of the Defence Minister. Incidentally, C4 is only available to the military, so the military is definitely involved in one way or another.

But why would the police and military want to kill a Mongolian model-translator? Because she was blackmailing him (and maybe even the Defence Minister) to a tune of half a million dollars, presumably over allegations of corruption in these Russian sales. Yes, there was sex involved as well, of course but that's another story altogether. ;)

If she's asking for US$500,000 as her cut, then you can imagine how much the political analyst, Abdul Razak Baginda, and the Defence Minister, Najib, are getting from the deals. Other than the sex, of course. Heh.. :D

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  15. Adrian Wong

TOTALLY AGREE! :thumb:

I would rather they spend the US$25 million on developing something, maybe their own mini-satellite... even a crappy one taking 5 years of development time, than spend it on sending one space tourist up. At least that would be an achievement.

Right now, what did we achieve? Only thing we achieved was to pay $25 mil for a ticket to space, and the only thing our "astronaut" achieved was to pass the physicals necessary to go up and stay in space. Some achievement. :roll:

16. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Haha. Exactly my thoughts. This whole episode is just sad man. Even sadder are those who think that it's an achievement. *sigh*

17. Adrian Wong

No worries about seeking attention by pasting the flags all over the suit. They already had it painted on the rocket. :haha:

18. Adrian Wong

That's a stupid research project IMHO. If they are thinking of developing new food items to bring into space, okay that makes sense. Variety is always good.

But focusing on Malaysian food is stupid. I love Malaysian food, but that does not mean it will be acceptable to other astronauts. Would US and Russian astronauts want to eat durian flan, or nasi lemak in space?

It makes sense for REAL space programmes to look into developing new foods for space, but just how many other astronauts are we going to send up?????

19. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. One thing though, Trin... buying Russian jets allows Malaysia (or any other country) to adopt both US and Russian equipment (e.g. missiles, guns) because there are Indian and Russian companies who have experience doing that.

But buying US jets will mean a complete reliance on the US for supplies and equipment. Unless the country wants to ally completely with the US, they dare not risk having their military crippled if Congress chooses to embargo military sales to the country, esp. critical stuff like replacement engines, missiles, etc.

20. Adrian Wong

IMHO, if only I am rich enough to afford the US$25 mil ticket... I would have bought my way to space AHEAD of this "astronaut". I wonder what would the government say about that??? :haha: :haha: