mini small budget upgrade

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PowerSlide, Apr 24, 2014.

1. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

UD3H is kinda the middle one, not too poor in oc(hopefully) and have everything i need

looking at newegg price, a few choices in the $150 price point and then huge jump to $2XX or even $3XX models :shifty:

Newegg.com - z97

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

http://www.kitguru.net/components/motherboard/luke-hill/gigabyte-z87-d3hp-motherboard-review-2/5/

Reviews like this will show that you don't need 8 to 12 phase power just to overclock.

These are very decent motherboards and you should save the money for better graphics card that shows performance that you can actually feel.

Don't be an idiot like me who spends on an expensive maximus 7 ranger and died it less than 48 hours and I may never get a warranty replacement.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

3. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Died???:faint: What happened?

4. Chai

I will post in my own thread once I have the courage... :haha:

5. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

wow died in 48 hours..that sucks and why can't claim warranty?

6. Chai

Because it caught fire, literally. I thought it was a fire hazard at one point! Luckily I managed to put out the fire like blowing a candle!

Anything with physical damage including burn marks are not covered under warranty.

7. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Wow!:shock: Did one of the mosfets burn up? Did you ever get it running before it self-destructed?:cry:

I'd contact asus and beg and complain for a RMA.:mad:

8. Chai

Actually the gtx760 suicided together with the motherboard. I will show the aftermath once I edit the photos. It is not pretty at all. It burnt at the pci express connector. I have already sent for RMA and waiting for good news, hopefully...

9. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

whoa BBQ

they can deny you blame everything on you for this

possibly the most horrible experience seeing the hardware BBQ itself

10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I was shocked when I heard about it too.

The closest I came to a "fiery" electronic disaster was when my PSU blew with a loud bang... and some smoke. But fortunately, there was no fire, and nothing else was damaged. Phew!

11. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

asus Z97-A RM665

the usual overpriced we need to endure living here :shifty:

12. Chai

Oh, you managed to get it down to RM665. It retailed at RM710.

That's really insane for a midrange board!

If you don't really need the FanXpert3, I think Gigabyte should offer a much better deal. But Asus does provide better after sales service (crosses my fingers).

13. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

i get this price from my fav shop but only asus for now..other asus boards she quote me

Asus
    MAXIMUS VII HERO RM850
    MAXIMUS VII RANGER RM739
    SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 1 RM1080
    Z97 DELUXE RM1189
    Z97-A RM665
    H97M-E RM415

Z97-A quite good as i go thru some review, that ranger at RM739 quite tempting but worth spend more for it?

14. Chai

Wow, so cheap the Ranger. I got conned.

I like a few things, like no PCI slots, useful onboard buttons, better onboard sound, looks prettier. But other than that, not much difference. There's no SATA Express.

15. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

haha how much u bought?

no pci slot..good, onboard button..good, better onboard sound..excellent, preetier? subjective but i dont care about looks and no sata express not gonna bother me

this looks like the one :mrgreen:

so many models i get confused, there is this sabertooth..what difference compare to ROG?

16. Chai

I got it for RM770.

Z97-A has onboard power button, but it is smaller, and doesn't have onboard reset button. Can be useful when troubleshooting so I really do appreciate that. The LED Debug is also a plus for Ranger.

I hate the dull gold color. Even bright green is a better color than that.

Sabertooth (aka TUF) series are probably the most useless in the series. I'm not sure who is the target market. 5 years warranty? Erm... I don't think I can even get a same motherboard replacement after 3 years. And it's probably at the same level as Ranger in terms of components used.

ROG series are also very confusing. There's gaming series, and also the more expensive series with 'better' overclocking features.

Honestly, who would buy a gaming + overclocking motherboard? It's usually one or the other, not both. If I were to overclock, I'm not going to spend RM1000+ and ready to kill it. And if I were a serious gamer, I want a stable machine.

Wow...I just found one of the best value Z97. Gigabyte Z97X-SLI. It has all the good stuff, Intel LAN, Realtek ALC1150, above average 4 phase power. If I'm not getting back my Ranger, I may consider getting this.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  17. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

agree, TUF series is useless..the 5 years warranty doesnt add to the appeal..its build around the same as others but with different colors and some other gimmick

i think the multiple models is just confusing, they make a more expensive model but not much more expensive and that makes us just go for the more expensive most of the time

Z97-A is good enough for me, but ranger not even RM100 more looks tempting and being sucker myself i will go for the ranger LOL

18. Chai

That's why I decided to get the Ranger, because less is better, especially on things that you don't really need. And it's only less than RM100 more than the Z97-A.

19. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

this is even chaper and more stuff!!!

ASRock > Fatal1ty Z97X Killer

fatality mouse port!!! can upped my skill at least 10%

others 10K caps this 12K!!! even better

LOL..and its cheap at only RM599 and could go lower

another model extreme6

ASRock > Z97 Extreme6

cheaper than ranger and looks like got every feature

doesnt look too bad though asrock but their marketing is really a laugh haha

20. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL! Don't knock the Fatal1ty brand, okay? Your mouse will become more accurate, so you can shoot "straighter". :D