my HDD suddenly "gone"!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sunsetbay, Jun 26, 2006.

1. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

dunno wat went wrong!! one min it was ok but after i install a codec & was burning a dvdr. the burning hang half way & i hv to reboot the system. after reboot (took much longer than usual), i enter to the HDD that contains the material that i want to burn & it prompt me "the disk in drive is not formatted. do u want to format!" wtf??

i hate to reformat & loose all my data... i had tried to remove the HDD & put into another sata slave slot & power cable, it hang during booting....

[​IMG]

is there anything i can do?

:( :(

2. xinoxide

xinoxide Newbie

i would recommend heading over to the hard drive manufacturer site, and looking for recovery tools. they usually have something you can burn onto a CD and boot, and have a bunch of tools you can use to see whats wrong with it and try and work it out. also at worst it might be dead, or if your lucky you can replace it and use those tools to get what you can off it onto a new one.

3. xinoxide

xinoxide Newbie

also, i see your not one for free space, how full was the disk when it "died"?

4. K B Ng

K B Ng Newbie

Seeing that he's got, what, 5 HDs ? and he was doing something power-intensive (burning a DVD-R) when it happened, I'd be thinking the power supply's borderlined. Possibly the disk as well but will have to check it to make sure. Might want to try it in another PC (one not so fully stocked) so's you can check if it's the HD.

5. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

it was abt 180GB inside, the HDD is pretty new abt 6mths+. will go home & try recovery tools.

i did try PC Inspector which is not v good, took few hrs just to scan 1% of the data. :wall:

6. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

4 physical HDDs. u maybe right on the power but when the burning was hang, i still able to use my mouse, closed the applications & shut dwn.

dun hv other system to test my HDD.... will try the recovery tools 1st. :wall: :wall:

7. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

interesting, what's your PSU? have you tried pluggin it into another system and see if it detects it? :think:

8. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

i dun hv other system to test... unless i dismantle my office PC casing but dun think im allow to. :sick: think my PSU is 400w..... :silenced: :silenced: all along it was ok, if the PSU really surged, the whole system would had hanged... :(

my fren said the hdd might hv died, ask me to use norton ghost to backup to anthr hdd.... but i dun hv any 250GB or bigger hdd... :wall:

9. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i want to ask you .. is

(O:) the driver letter or the drive label ? :think:

10. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

my current suggestion is chnage the drive letter...

Right click
    Change Drive letter and Paths

see if there is any drive letter assigned ..
    or you can add/change it

11. K B Ng

K B Ng Newbie

If you don't have another system it's pretty difficult. We might set up a test center with duplicates of stuff sometime soon so people can test their systems, but later for that. Still think it's the PS though. It's almost sure to be power-related. I wonder if 400W is enough to power 4 HDs + 1 DVD-RW, esp if you're using one of those no-name clone PSUs. Just out of curiosity, have you tried removing all the other HDs ?

12. xinoxide

xinoxide Newbie

i dont see the psu being an issue unless he had a large number of the physical disks spinning at once. I have had power isues with having 4 250 gig barracudas in raid0 on the studio system i built, we fixed that with an 800watt psu, but before we had raid we had 4 seperate drives, and it ran perfectly fine

13. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

O is the drive letter. initially it was Drive:M, i change letter path to drive: O & it's still the same. :(

14. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

actually there's another CD/DVD combo drive.....

i did remove one HD & put the problem HD into its SATA slot but the system seem to hv problem booting.

mayb i will get a bigger HD to replace the two 160GB HDs. :wall: :wall:

15. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

Just a thing to check, but is the bios info correct for the drive? Would explain the slow booting and the need to format error.

16. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

will do a check when home.

i did use "recover my files" recovery tools to scan & it took mre than 30hrs & it restart itself when i gone up in the morning. i did see quite alot of the files from the application when it was scanning 50%. think i hv to rescan & stop halfway to backup first.
    :silenced:

17. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

finally managed to backup 90%+ of the files after 48hrs of non stop file transferring using Recover My Files.

had done a reformatting & defrag. the HD seem ok now.... :wall:

i'd also change a new PSU, a 400w one. the previous one was only 350w. :silenced: :nuts:

18. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Why not get a bigger one? :lol:

19. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I would agree, go bigger. I have a 560W PSU, and I barely use 400 I think. But with 160W overhead, I can put in or replace anything I want and know it's not the PSU.

20. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

But most important thing is, what's your system specs?