Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ and HD

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by megakitty, Aug 26, 2010.

1. megakitty

megakitty Newbie

Hello, please don't laugh at me as this stuff is very new to me. I'm trying to figure out what the difference between an HD resolution and a PC resolution. First and foremost I'll explain what I am attempting to accomplish.

I want to use my computer for gaming, and for this purpose, max FPS is definitely my ultimate goal. That being said, my monitor is an HP w2338h with an HDMI plugger, I have attached a DVI to HDMI adapter and my monitor picks up the signal for HDMI perfectly, so it seems. However when searching through my resolution options in my Nvidia control panel, it gives me options to choose HD, SD resolution, or PC resolution.

When selecting HD, SD resolution at 1080p, 1920 x 1080, it drops my refresh rate to 50htz from the original 60htz and my color depth to 16bit from the original 32 bit. In contrast, when i choose the PC option for resolution at 1920 x 1080, my refresh rate is 60htz and color depth is 32bit.

A) why is that happening?
    B) does this improve performance?
    C) How can i increase back to 60 htz?

Thank you in advance.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Seriously, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Can you capture a screenshot of the HD SD resolution selection?

3. megakitty

megakitty Newbie

In this first picture, this is my native resolution. the htz are 60 and the color depth is 32 bit.

[​IMG]

But when i choose the HD, SD option, htz drop to 50 and color depth drops to 16 bit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  4. Chai

It looks like the HD and SD section is meant for TVs, not monitors. You should be using "PC" resolution.

And why you are using HDMI when DVI works just the same, just without audio? I'm sure both your PC and monitor is capable of supporting DVI.

HDMI is usually used on TV, like for example HTPC, PS3, Xbox360 etc where audio is being transmitted over HDMI cable.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  5. megakitty

megakitty Newbie

My monitor does not have a DVI port, only an HDMI and VGA. After playing around a little with settings for the past few days and keeping it on the PC resolution, I'm very happy with the picture, even in my online game. It's much more crisp than the VGA cable.

Thank you for answering my question. I could not find this answer and I was very curious as to why these options were different than one another.

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

AFAIK, LCD TVs operate with a refresh rate of 50 Hz, while computer LCD monitors operate with a refresh rate of 60 Hz. Do note that LCDs don't actually "refresh".

7. Chai

Many new LCD TVs refresh faster than 50Hz, 100Hz are pretty standard now.

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Oh yeah, of course. What I meant was 50 Hz or multiples of 50 Hz. But they don't actually refresh at that rate, but generate and insert additional frames in between the actual frames.