OC didn't work

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by itld, Dec 23, 2002.

1. itld

itld Newbie

howdy,
    i haven't messed much with OC so this may be a stupid newbie question.
    i went to one of my other boxes:
    ASUS A7M
    AMD Athlon 750
    256md ram (dont know what kind)

and set the system freq up from 100 to 105.

it booted OK and id'd the proc at 800mhz win 2K came to life but as soon as i touched the mouse it went blue screen, the most interesting part is when it booted back up it errored with something like this
    when i went back to the BIOS it was back to 100

this is my first time messing with OC, is there something i missed in the BIOS? or is this setup just incapable of being OC'd??
    M.R.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Is that A7M a dual processor motherboard?

Dual processor motherboard usually doesn't overclock well. But 105MHz shouldn't be a problem even if it's dual processor.

3. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

True that dual proc mobos don't overclock very well because they are built for stability, well atleast for Tyan boards.

I have my Tyan board cranked up to 139Mhz from 133Mhz using stock cooling. I dare not go any higher because I would rather have more stability than speed.

4. itld

itld Newbie

howdy,
    The ASUS A7M is a single proc slot A board. maybe it just isn't capable?

M.R>

5. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Are you sure it is Asus A7M?

I do not think that Asus came out with a single processor A7M. It could be the A7N if I am not mistaken.

6. Chai

I'm not too familiar with AMD chipsets. It could be your RAM not able to handle higher clockspeed. If you set to agressive timings in the BIOS, try higher latency settings.

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hey itld,

Sounds like maybe you have the Speed Error Hold BIOS option enabled. I'm not sure about ASUS motherboards but ABIT motherboards have a Speed Error Hold BIOS option that's enabled by default. If you overclock your processor without disabling said BIOS option, the motherboard will halt the boot-up process with an error message and revert the processor settings back to default.

Check your BIOS and see if there's a similar BIOS option. It's usually in the same screen as your processor multiplier + clock speed settings.

Hope that helps you some! :)

8. Chai

I doubt it's the Speed Error Hold because it manages to boot into Windows before crashing.

9. Adrian Wong

Oops... Missed that part! :)

Was that "Overclock Condition Detected, Check BIOS Settings" error message from WinXP or the BIOS? I've never seen Windows XP showing such an error message.

10. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Adrian, he did mention it's from the BIOS :D

Anyway, I think it could be some sort of Speed Error Hold messege. Mayb it detected that the PC rebooted due to a crash, then checked the CPU Speed and gave the warning????

11. Chai

The "Overclock Condition Detected, Check BIOS Settings" message was after it crashed when booting into Windows. Hard reboot, and appear in the BIOS.

12. Adrian Wong

Heh... Whatever it is, best go to the BIOS and disable any BIOS option similar to the Speed Error Hold option found in ABIT motherboards. I'm pretty sure there's a similar option in ASUS motherboards.