Please advice

Discussion in 'General Software' started by sira12, Mar 25, 2009.

1. sira12

sira12 Newbie

Hi Everybody,

I hope this is the right thread for me to send regarding my problem. I want to dub my Hi-8 video tape to a CD/DVDROM. I just wanted to know, what actually do I need to prepare besides a PC, in order for me to do so. My handycam brand is SONY CCD-TRV81E, a non-digital handycam.

Please advice. Thank you in advance...

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I normally use a video editing software like Adobe Premiere. Or you can use the provided software to extract the video which is usually in the form of an MPEG or MPEG2 file.

To write to the CD or DVD, you can use a CD/DVD authoring software like Nero, which usually comes with the CD/DVD writer.

You will also need a Firewire cable and connection on your PC to extract the video data from your handycam.

3. sira12

sira12 Newbie

Thank you for your advice..I don't really need any special card in order for me to connect to the PC from my handycam is it? I only have a cable that have 3 points(Red, Yellow and white) and I do not have a USB cable. As I mentioned earlier that my handycam is a non-digital one..

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think you definitely need a video editing card, or what ever you call it, with composite input.

5. sira12

sira12 Newbie

What actually the name of the card? I got so many Hi-8 to be dubbed. They'll charge me RM120, only for one tape..I rather do it myself..

6. Chai

You can try something like this.

7. sira12

sira12 Newbie

Hi Chai,

I already viewed the video that you sent me. Very impressing. I'll search the cable the soonest. Can't wait to start dubbing.

8. Adrian Wong

Actually, if your handycam supports Firewire (and it should), then it would be cheaper to just get a Firewire cable. Most notebooks come with a Firewire port. Newer desktop PCs also have a Firewire port, but if yours do not have a Firewire port, then just get a Firewire expansion card.

The alternative is to get a video editing card (like Chai says) that can accept composite video input. However, the best solution is to use the Firewire card as it allows the video editing software to directly control the handycam and extract the raw video.

9. Chai

LOL! You need to know Hi-8 video cam are very old analog based tape (similar to VHS). There's no way it comes with Firewire connection.

10. Adrian Wong

Oh, Hi-8... :wall: :wall:

11. sira12

sira12 Newbie

I bought my handycam in Japan around 1996 while I was studying there. At that time there is no digital handycam. If during that time have a digital handycam, I would buy it to make it easier for me to edit..Anyway thank you for the advice, I'll search the firewire cable/card.

12. Chai

No, you can't use Firewire cable. It's only an option for digital video cam.

My method is one of your only choice, or other similar type of video editing card.

13. Adrian Wong

Yeah, Chai is right. :(

14. sira12

sira12 Newbie

Thank you all for your advice..Eventhough I have not found the thing shown in the video but I really appreciate your continous advice in my problem. Thks..

15. sira12

sira12 Newbie

Hi Chai,

I know, it's quite sometime since i enter my own thread but can you please tell me where can I get this dvd maker 2 in Malaysia. Because I've tried to search it in Low Yat but unfortunately they did not sell such thing. I don't feel like buying it online right now. Please advice..TQVM..

16. Chai

It's in the price list of Compuzone. If not, ask them to recommend you a similar model. I'm sure there's 1 out there.

17. sira12

sira12 Newbie

Oh I see. I'll try to go there one more time. What do they call it there I wonder? Do you know how much is it cost?

18. sira12

sira12 Newbie

Hi Chai,

You're right. Kworld DVD maker 2.0 is listed inside Compuzone price list. Thank you.