SSD / WIn7

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ZuePhok, Nov 8, 2011.

1. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

I'm actually looking for better overall zippyness (less hangups and load times). You can't quite swing around a pretty heavy MacBook Pro anyway. Also, if sleep and wake up time is a lot faster with the SSD, I can easily get away with literally just shutting the lid and getting to sleep (which I already do anyway) and moving it about.

Still 250+GB is very small as the total storage. So, no choice but to use a HDD still.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

But it will not get rid of the hangups completely unfortunately. I guess I was expecting too much...haha...

3. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

why don't you just build a storage server and move everything there?

Question: Do you guys really need to access > 256GB of data when you are on the road??

Here is what I do. I setup a cloud folder on my MBA, my notebook and my main rig. I use it to sync all my working files. I don't think I ever missed any files in the past twelve months, and my MBA has only 64GB of storage.

4. peaz

ok. my case is this.

roughly 30GB work docs. about half is old so yes, i could actually move it up to a cloud storage without syncing it with my main rig. the rest would be synced to my paid 10gb sugarsync cloud (cloud synced primarily for access on my ipad on the go).but most is randomly required for viewing, reference, even really old ones.

email local storage roughly 20GB for 1.5 year archive.

raw photos in queue for editing roughly about 10gb i think. i really need to get this processed. hahaha

Windows 7 VM - 40 GB
    windows 98 VM - 15 GB (work related...wish i can get rid of this. haha.
    i've a bunch of other VMs for work too but usually accessed directly from external disk. at most 1-2 lives on the HDD. each is usually about 40GB.

And that's not including all the other stuff like itunes library, backups of the ipad and iphone, both 64GB versions. apps, games, etc...

160GB for sure cannot fit easily. ive to trim like mad.

5. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

haha I know how this feels.

to have precious SSD space taken up by VHDs is defintiely more "heart pain" than say, useful data like image library/music/email. hahaha. more so if those VHDs are for testing purposes. hahahaha...

I used to keep a couple of VMs on my notebook too. then I realized I could just get a 512mb linode VPS and push all my working files into it for testing and presentation purposes. besides, it's easier to do testing with a static IP and a live domain. am in pure LAMP environment so a linux VPS is definitely more affortable than windows based VPS. now I don't have to load VHDs on my notebook, only on my home PC :D to do demo, all I need is a 3G phone + tethering :D

Also, you can set this VPS to be your proxy + VPN if you want to (if you park your linode in london DC. Chai: BBC f1 :wicked: )

am loving virtualization. it wasn't even possible (to be this affordable) 5 years ago. Sorry for getting out of topic!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  6. peaz

Wish I could do that too. My Windows VMs are meant for corporate work, IP Phone basically whatever that won't run off the OS X. so no choice there. as for my work VMs, it would cost me a bomb that I'm not willing to pay myself to run off cloud hosting. not authorized to use EC2 also. each VM would need at a least 4-6GB RAM to run and not to mention all
    those computing power. a 2-3 day workshop typically costs me about 200-300USD on EC2 when we could still run it then. LOL!

Gosh!

Anyways. i think ill go with the 300GB after all. will be down in KL for work next week. maybe try to find some time to go LYP. :)

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow! Going SSD! Eh, isn't it cheaper in Singapore?

8. peaz

Apparently not. the fx conversion makes it slightly cheaper in KL. :) RM1699 vs SGD739