The Ultimate Fight AMD vs Intel.

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by SAMSAMHA, Dec 18, 2004.

1. wodenus

wodenus Banned

There's no repeatability either :p

2. wodenus

wodenus Banned

Why should a processor manufacturer have to tell some website which drivers etc. to use ? and even if they did, what's to say that they will follow anyone's advice ?

You're missing my point.. my point is that any benchmark you don't run yourself is (or can be) suspect. There are so many things that someone can do to influence the score one way or another. A benchmark is not a tool that can be used to compare two operating systems -- you can't make any valid conclusion from any benchmark. Even some benchmarks you run yourself are not repeatable.. run the same benchmark twice, and you'll get two different figures :) suppose for instance you run a b/m today and you find that A system is faster than B system. Tomorrow, with nothing changed, the b/m may say that B system is faster than A system. Which system is faster then ? :)

3. wodenus

wodenus Banned

I don't know what it is other than a PR exercise. We've run Intel-based PCs for years w/o having anything go wrong (other than wear and tear on the HD.)

4. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

well, either system shouldn't have high rate of failure, if it does, then it won't sell that good. Intel or AMD, they all have come a long way to be quite good and stable.

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

That would involve either processor dying which it wont. Those things have a life span of at least 5 years under normal usage.

6. im not sure full load for days at a time constitutes "normal usage" though...

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

But it will still last... :mrgreen: They're trying to stress test something that was designed to withstand usage... :eh:

8. yeah, but it'll help test how reliable they actually are. they have been running at full load for 5-6 days now

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

My pc runs overclocked 24/7.... ;) The CPUs were designed to take this kind of treatment. Testing them at stock in conditions that they were designed for doesn't show squat... :mrgreen:

10. yeah, but thats at idle...cuz you dont run any dc software :p :p

but they have theirs at load...

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I stress tested my pc for over the period of 1 month. I made it run prime 95 when I wasn't using it. My PC is ROCK solid... :lol:

12. WOW :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

wish i could keep mine on that long...bastard brother keeps shutting it down, so you can say mine's not as stable :mrgreen:

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

LoL! I don't trade speed at the cost of reliability... ;)

14. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

And the title of the topic is?

Kinda simple and straight forward isn't it?
    1. The benchmark software is utter crap to make any conclusion from.
    2. Both systems are just as good.

Fortunately, I've tested enough to know which benchmark software is good or not. If you have never heard of consistent benchmark, then I probably just wasting my time. Moving along... *yawn* This topic is boring and off topic...

From my experience, I've never killed a CPU before, other than PSU failure, even if I've been running at off the spec voltage since day 1. :mrgreen:

15. nah, you can't kill a cpu, unless you leave the hsf off, or you just a bad cpu. or you screw it up due to user error...

16. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Which is why Tom's Hardware stress test is a waste of time... :mrgreen:

17. yeah, i'm pretty sure that many gamers out there can prove that both systems are stable

18. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

The Tom's Hardware stress test is simply :nuts:

19. Maximus_Detritus

Maximus_Detritus Moderator

INtel Vs AMD... :think:

Ahhh, a waste of time. My PC runs OC'ed 24/7 too. And surprisingly, it runs more stable in Windows Server 2003 rather than Windows XP. Of course it would. BUt That's going off topic.

20. yeah, but i think that this is for the...lower people :mrgreen: who dont know much about computers, and they just stumbled across THG...maybe