Upgrade advice please; SLI 6800GT getting old?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by ussff, Dec 7, 2008.

1. ussff

ussff Newbie

:roll: A little clarity and re-think on the whole SLI thing...

Spend approx £140 on two 384MB XFX 9600 GSO XXX's and have a great rig that is maxed out with both slots filled (also read on reviews that the 384MB is a small bottleneck for some games/applications against rival cards) or buy one 512MB XFX 9800 GTX+ XT now,which will not "cook" quite as hot but still play my Far Cry2/Crysis etc and leave the second slot vacant (as long as they don't stop making 9800GTX+ XT next month) and step up again to SLI in 9 to 12 months time with a second one :twisted: Now that should rock....

Edit : 16 jan 09.... bought 2x "9600 GSO XXX 1900Mhz XFX" cards from scan at under £70 each - incredble value for 96 pipes and red hot clock speeds... Two in my SLI rig should really pump up the volume LOL - I had a small issue with only 384Mb Ram... but will wait and see if more sytem memory may be required to improve performance, as I'm sure to bump from 2 to 4gb soon...

Thank you all for your advice and messages!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  2. ussff

ussff Newbie

Just ordered 4Gb of OCZ PC3200 CL2 (2-3-2-5) Platinum RAM for the PC, and next month I'm going VISTA 64bit.... :shhh: I'm hoping to get the OC up a little highter once its in, on top of the XFX 9600 GSO XXX's I've kind of overdone my planned budget but think that it should keep the old girl running for a while :rolleyes: Cheers for all the advice... cant believe I went 9xxx in the end :nuts: must be losing it!

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

With 4GB of RAM, you definitely need to use a 64-bit OS, like Vista 64-bit, or XP 64-bit.

4. dethalis

dethalis Newbie

Vista 64-bit rox... i would spend the premium and get a 9800 GTX 2xx and 4gb of ram.. that would allow for sli later. If you plan on staying with nvidia... otherwise i still say got ati hd4870