Widescreen LCD versus Normal size

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by Wurn, Jul 10, 2006.

1. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

the cost of the panel is determined by the cutting size.

you can get probably around 12 pieces of 4:3 panel out of one giant piece of TFT panel. but you might only get around 6 for a wide screen, hence its expensive price tag. they have to throw away the remaining piece, or cut it into smaller size (17inch 4:3) if the specification is identical.

again, you can't just compare the total number of visible pixel.
    wide screen is definitely more comfortable to view when you are doing work that requires size by size comparison/ book view (quad express, indesign, proof reading)

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

That is why it's case to case scenario. You can't expect everyone to use widescreen for all applications.

When I was editing pictures, especially in potrait mode, I need a lot of space top to bottom, which I find it lacking on my 17" CRT. Believe it or not, this is one of the reason why I bought this Dell 20". In this case, more pixel is better, that is why my priority is more pixels. I don't know about you guys, but I find it more comfortable reading by just moving my eyes instead of moving my head. I honestly don't mind a 17" display with 1900x1200 for example.

I don't put down widescreen display. If you are sure you need a widescreen display for your intended purposes, go ahead. But many people are getting widescreen solely because it's 'cool' and new format.

3. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

4:3 & 16:10 comparision! drawn to scale. :mrgreen: :drool: :drool:

[​IMG]

4. Wurn

Wurn Newbie

widescreen versus...

AH someone i think hit the hammer on the nail for me here...

Like i said i do Web Desining and play GAMES alot and use it to whatch movies. 20" LCD at the moment is too expensive here in South Africa where i live, but 19" 4:3 and even 19" widescreen is well priced.

I have a friend who has the same monitor sa to what i want only he's is 4:3 ratio and he is very happy.

I think as Chai said it's up to me or whoever if you need it cause its the new thing or if you need it for specific uses.

I know in the future widescreen will almost be the only monitors you will be able to get, but that is still a little way off methinks

Thx for all your replies.. :clap: :clap:

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

This is so true :faint:

6. Terminator

Terminator Newbie

Terminator

Well guys I just bought the Dell 2407. This is because I used to be a CRT die hard. However, my Sony 4X3 20inch CRT was 5yrs old and looked like crap.:wall: But, the industry is changing rapidly and it is becoming very hard to find any kind of decent CRT's monitors on the market anymore. They just aren't being manufactured. Whats worse, try to find a CRT Monitor in a widescreen format.:confused: They exist but it is very difficult to obtain one. I have to have 1920X1080 resolution for my High Definition tv Card. http://www.digitalconnection.com/products/video/mdp130.asp Further, more and more movies (DVD'S) come out everyday in a widescreen format. And, even more games come out everyday to that support this aspect as well. So, I settled on my Dell. Its 1920X1200 panel. A 16X10 Aspect Display. But, as far as the 4X3 VS 16X9 issue. Widescreens are here to stay guys. But, since they are a relatively new thing on the market they still demand a hefty $$$ premium over the 4X3 monitors. But they will come down in time. Actually, the human eye sees more side to side than up and down. So the wide aspect is preferable. Anyway, here is a good site for comparing 16X9 VS 4X3 screen sizes for the actual amount of screen real estate your getting. http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi Enjoy Guys.:wave:

7. Chai

No doubt, widescreen is definitely going to stay. Really sad if they plan to remove the 4:3 format completely, because I'm really a 4:3 person.

8. Terminator

Terminator Newbie

What gets me thought. All DVD's and newer gaming software on the market aside. Movies in the USA started using CinemaScope, a widescreen TV format that had a 2.35:1 viewing ratio decades ago in the 1960's. And its only here in recent yrs that PC monitors and TVs have finally started to catch up with and switch over to using this wider aspect. Going from 1.33:1 to 1.78:1 or a wider ratio. The industry has had a very long time to make this adjustment in our display technologies that we look at everyday.:nuts: But now that it is here. I think it is here to stay. I don't really know where the future of 4X3 viewing is and how it will be used. Probly for just viewing older and other media made for that aspect? More food for thought?;)

9. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

dell 20" widescreen is cheaper than its 20" 4:3 LCD. :thumb:

btw, ur HD TVcard dun support mpeg4 h.264 decoding right? :silenced:

10. Terminator

Terminator Newbie

Nope, my MYHD card only uses a MPEG-2 Transport Steam at a Max of 40 Mbps. Its only used for pulling digital and HD signals out of the air from local tv stations and also for receiving unencrypted cable tv channels that use QAM modulation. Basically what I get off the antenna anyway. As these are the only singnals on the cable that are unencrypted anyway. This is done by the two 75ohm inputs on the back of the card. One can be used for over the air coverage and the other can be used to hook your cable service into. Hope this helps.;)

11. Terminator

Terminator Newbie

Also, I should mention that the MYHD card will record just fine of off the air programing with a UHF antenna or a digital cable tv service (if availible) using the QAM type modulation. It will record the 480i (standard definition analog programing) or 480p digital and 720p and 1080i high definition programing when its being broadcast. But, it requires 8.7 gigabytes of harddrive per/hr of content recorded. Just for your info.;)

12. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

think it's not really useful for me as singapore uses mpeg4 avc h.264 format for the HD broadcast. the SD channels are transmitted both analog and digital, which is mpeg2.

im using hauppauge hvr1300 dvb-t tuner card. i hv to use 3rd party software & install h.264 codec to tune to hdtv channel. at the moment we just started on trial. athough it work fine but the decoding can easily choked up 90% of the cpu, the image become lagging because the huge amount of resources used.

from other users, even dual core users find it lagging to watch hdtv here. so the best solution was to find a digital tvcard that do h.264 hardware encoding, which apparently i hvnt found it. :silenced: :silenced:

13. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yea, once you see HD, you'll never wanna look at normal TV... :p

15. Chai

I will still prefer 4:3 HD if there's such a broadcast... :haha:

16. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

LOL! Sadly no.. :p

17. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

ROFL! :haha: :haha: 4:3 fan :haha:

18. Chai

I'm in no hurry, because, judging by the slowness of Malaysia, we will probably only get HD contents in 10 years time. By then, most of the sources and displays are probably wide screen. So I will wait while enjoying the 4:3 format. :D

19. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hehe.. That's very true. Although RTM is pushing for HD broadcast, I don't expect to see it very soon... :think:

20. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started