Windows 7 installation BSOD

Discussion in 'General Software' started by karhoe, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Found this post by OldBuzzard :

2. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I came across that before, but first of all, my 7 is 64bit, vista is 32bit, can't upgrade from there.

Besides, if this is really a hardware issue, I'm not taking that extra step to solve it.

I'll update you guys this Tuesday :D

3. Adrian Wong

Okay! Look forward to it! :thumb:

4. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Hey guys, it's me

Just came back from disty.

It's a long story but my conclusion is - Gigabyte - Ultra UNReliable

I told them my problem, they tested my pc, the BSOD appeared. Then I had to tell them that I had done all the troubleshootings which includes

1) RAM switch slot, one RAM
    2) Change SATA cable
    3) Change BIOS
    4) Clear CMOS
    5) Install Vista.

Then that guy wanted to pop in HIS hdd to prove it. He even asked "What if my HDD can work?, I answered, then that would mean by HDD is faulty" He popped his HDD in with Vista - Windows can boot, he was like "there, can wad"

Then I went into Device Manager, and showed him that VGA driver was not installed, I installed the driver, an older driver

When the PC rebooted, it showed Out of Range (signal not recognized) which is different from the BSOD, I explained that it could be that the older driver handled the hardware error differently.

To prove my point, I told him that the pc will boot into Windows in Safe mode - and it worked, and again he was like "eh, how can?"

Then I tried to explain to him in a less tech jargon way (and yes, he is a technician) that Windows Vista gives the same problem.

I told him I tried Vista and 7, then he doubted my 7 version, I told him that i'm a MSDN member with access to RTM.

Then his colleague came in and I had to repeat everything to him and he seemed to understand. Then he insisted we try on XP. I can't see what's the point of doing it. Even if it worked in XP, I'm going to use 7.

Fine, he installed the driver, and same BSOD.

Now comes the next problem, he offered to give me another repaired motherboard from Gigabyte. APPARENTLY the one which I was using before this was a REPAIRED unit instead of a FRESH NEW one as CLAIMED by him !

I made some noise saying that this is the 3rd motherboard and you expect me to receive a 4th REPAIRED motherboard?

What more, this motherboard was manufactured on November! Barely few months and it was sent back for repair and now it ended up on the distributor shelf.

So I made some noise and they offered me an upgrade to a 'newer' model.

They had some complicated formula which involves the lifespan of the motherboard and the market price of the motherboard and the replacement model. Ended up, they quoted me RM90 !!

I was like, this is ridiculous, you made me come back here 2 times within 3 days, and you are offering me RM90? He said that the RM90 is a dealer price, not customer price. But what he didn't tell me is that it's a dealer price, not COST PRICE !

The manager then explained that this is due to the fact that Gigabyte is not issuing Credit Note so that repaired motherboard would end up as their buffer stock for next unlucky customer who sent in the motherboard for repair.

After some negotiation, I managed to get it for RM70, and here I am, starting all the installation from scratch.

Ultra Reliable 3? Sounds more like ULTRA RELIABLE 3 ! Three for that 3 DAMNED time I had to send back the motherboard

5. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

hopefully this time thing goes well :pray:

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

This is one reason why I don't like getting low end boards. They use low quality parts.

7. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Well, I opted for this with "2 oz" board

8. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Normally, there should be a Customer Protection Service (I don't know what is the name there) and you could send a complaint to CPS and they are forced to search the cause and give you a reply within 30 days. Usually, if they prove you're right (normally you can use the credit note of the product), the firm incriminated gets a penalty fee and they are forced to replace the product at their expenses (only in theory). Never heard/know of a case here in my city.

9. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Well, this is Malaysia, consumer barely have any rights.

Anyhow, the PC seemed to be working well, at a lower temperature, but I just realized they gave me Rev 1.0 when they do have Rev 2.0. Now should I be angry over this?

I just checked and the Rev 2.0 have support for EPS 12V, though my PSU doesn't have

10. Adrian Wong

Sigh.. This is typical Asian attitude. Once you part with your money, customer service can go to hell.

There's no point complaining to their customer service personnel either. It's not their fault, and whatever complaints you lodge will just get thrown into the dustbin. Typical... :mad:

11. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

well, for every brand there are models and batchces which doesn't live up to the customers expectation, guess I have really been unlucky with this particular Gigabyte model

12. Adrian Wong

Yes, everyone will produce some crappy stuff now and then, but I think customer service is seriously lacking in most Asian countries. That's why I'm always impressed with the way Dell deals with customer service.

13. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Though Dell CS comes with a premium !!!