Windows Vista worth it?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by 1031982, Apr 27, 2007.

1. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

When I read articles like this one, it makes me a bit leery of Vista.

Link

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, IMHO, there's really nothing wrong with Vista x64. Eventually, we will all move to a 64-bit OS. It's just a matter of driving prices of RAM low enough to make 3-4GB of RAM highly affordable.

But right now, most users are still stuck with 2GB of RAM at most. If so, it doesn't really make sense to migrate to Vista x64 when driver support is still spotty. At least we can still make use of XP drivers if we have to. I would personally wait until there's better driver support or if I have 4GB of RAM.

3. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I am not prepared for Vista yet. Well, I must have 4GB of RAM in order for Vista to work optimumly. :D

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

No you dont... :o

I have 2GBs and its running just fine.. :o

5. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

yeah. 2GB is usually more than enough. until you start running a lot of background server applications. :D

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

On Vista? :shock:

7. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

I have 2 GB on my XP and I find it lagging :faint: :faint: :faint:

8. Chai

Because your processor is too slow. :p

9. peaz

No no.. still on XP. 3GB with C2D on XP runs really nice! :D Hessitant to move over to 64bit Vista.... But i probably would after I get the 2GB GSkill from Adrian. then use with the KVR cos 3.06GHz is nice and stable and dun think I want to clock it any higher.

Yeah... get a C2D.. worth it man. :thumb:

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

4GB here :mrgreen: definitely 64-bit since PAE has been disabled on XP SP2 for better driver compatibility.

superfetch + 4GB = steammmmmmmmmm ahhhh..
    but superfetch + 4GB + X-FI = Diarrhea :cry:

back to x64 XP

11. Adrian Wong

Not bad what... I've been using Vista with 2GB of memory. Runs well. :thumb:

12. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

yea.. so far its smooth for me .... vista + 2gb ram + 2ghz c2d

13. peaz

Hmm my 32bit WinXP SP2 now has PAE enabled with 3GB of RAM... works pretty ok for me now :D

14. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Dudes,

Used the Vista Business edition as trial for a while then I uninstalled it. The aeroglass thingy is cool, but I'm not needin' it. Also, how can I disable the Indexing options? It's trashing my HDD and my files badly. Also, is it possible to reduce the RAM usage? I got my whole 1GB RAM being swallowed and 10MB left. But the games are running perfectly still... :shifty:

15. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

PAE has to be enabled in order for NX (No eXecute) bit to work. In your case, it's XD since you have intel processor.

However, SP2's PAE is slightly "crippled" because microsoft has modded the memory manager so that any >4GB memory will be totally ignored. This is to constraint driver compatibility issues (you know, drivers by stupid, lazy manufacturers got sotong-blurred by 64-bit addressing and eventually gives you one beautiful blueish scenery to enjoy). SP1's and the non patched XP's PAE can address >4GB, but not SP2.

you can try to throw in another stick of mem, but you will be wasting your money because you won't see all of them. The same applies to Vista 32-bit.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bbdff45d-1ad0-4f4e-8929-fa14cc05b6bb.aspx

Before I got this answer from a [H]ard forumer, i had been wondering where the hell was my 1.2GB mem. I have 4Gb you see, and PAE was enabled, still I could only see 2.7+GB.
    if you want 4GB, you will need 64-bit windows. be it x64 vista or XP.
    fortunately, the drive support for X64 XP is much better now compared to when it was initially launched. all my 32-bit apps runs fine on WoW64 so I am a happy 4GB windows user now :mrgreen:

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  16. peaz

oh yeah. that I know :D I thought u meant in SP2 PAE was disabled because of instability problem. Basically the allocation of addressable space for the rest of the devices.... like those 256/512MB of the GPU will minus off whatever RAM they have including some for the GPU itself... and including the test of the devices on board... you'd lose about minimum 500MB to like ur case. 1.2gb :)

hMMM Vista 64 worth exploring now?

17. Chai

Haha...do you run background server programs?

18. Adrian Wong

Nope, and I don't think most users do. That's why 2GB is okay for Vista.

Of course, 3GB or 4GB is always nice, but heck, Windows Vista isn't that much of a memory hog. 2GB will serve nicely. :mrgreen:

19. Chai

That's exactly why I was shocked at peaz. :p Plus I use Vista before, so I know exactly what's the requirement.

20. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Ok, a family member wants a new PC, something they can just buy and that's it. So, everything is bundled with Vista now. Very annoying, as XP works wonders for them, and even Windows 98SE would work wonders for them now. Anyway, they will get either Home or Home Premium. I am leaning toward Premium so they get the games bundled, as they play basic games, and they would be a nice addition. Also, the graphic effects would make them feel like they made a more worthy purchase. Anything more would be a waste. So, what about hardware here! Obviously, the CPU and HDD won't be a problem these days, but the RAM amount is always up in the air. They won't be doing much, so I am thinking either 1 or 1.5GB RAM total. They most they will do at once is run Limewire (against my advise), IE, Outlook, Windows Media Player, and a pre-included game. Usually, it's Limewire, IE, and that's all.