XP Pro and upgates

Discussion in 'General Software' started by GrumpyOne, Aug 12, 2006.

1. GrumpyOne

GrumpyOne Newbie

Being a newbie to this set of forums and cause Dashken was so nice elsewhere, thought I'ld keep going. :lol:

Got a question on XP Pro and it's monthly menop..., I mean, updates. I am a firm follower of staying up to date, but this is getting to be a job every month with 4 PCs in the house.

I have always ran the update manually, then update each one separately because I had a bad experience many moons ago trying to run several at once. Is this newer v6 updater any better?

Or, put more simply, can I leave all the updates checked and update all at once;
    or should I continue one at a time?

Maybe it was the fact some require a reboot and others don't. Guess it's a mstery to me.

Second option would leave the girls to update their own, but Dad is still a little protective :pray:

Any guidance is very welcome and appreciated :thumb:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I don't seem to have any issues with Automatic Updates, I think it's more convinient than going to the Windows Update.

3. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Been using it since day one....only lately revert to mannual selecting which to be updated so that a certain genuine *ahem thing is not installed :faint: :faint: :faint:

4. GrumpyOne

GrumpyOne Newbie

Guess it's never a mystery any longer about updates, so I just do it manually. Maybe it's the fact I like to control who's doing what and and where from my PC.

Too many critters on the loose :doh:

I guess now that I think of it, I assume when you have your system set up for auto everything that it would install all 9-11 updates in one swoop.

Maybe MS is getting better with their updates...

now that we get more every month :nuts: :roll: :haha:

5. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

I'm curious.. how many updates does MS roll out each month?

6. GrumpyOne

GrumpyOne Newbie

Had 9 for the month of Aug, and this doesn't include the 2 Office updates this month. Can't find the list for July, but June was 8 for XP and 3 for Office.

Now I'm curious...what OS are you using that you seem to be unaware of the MS updates :doh:

7. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

there is a fix for that :wicked:
    and your probably missing some updates if you don't have that installed by now.

8. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Mac OS X primarily, and a mix of different flavours of Unix/Linux to taste... and Windows once in a blue moon (say, about 5 times a year?)

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

There's a rollout every month second Tuesday of the month (I think), unless it's extremely critical.

10. GrumpyOne

GrumpyOne Newbie

I usually set my update clock to the 3rd Tues of the month :lol:

This way I can watch the success of each month's updates and try to avoid any that go astray :whistle:

Sorta like taco Tues, only we are dealing with critical updates :haha:

11. GrumpyOne

GrumpyOne Newbie

Somehow I new by your post you didn't run Windows.

Strange as it may seem, I've decided to give OS X a try with my new PC after reading the article here on Vista and what it has to offer. Guess I've been looking for an excuse, so I'll let it be Vista :haha:

All I need now is a list of Mac forums and how to's before my Christmas leap of faith...I always help Santa with my gift :shhh:

12. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

No sweat, just check out your local MUGs (Mac User Groups - if there's any in your area) or any of the tons of forums out there (including forums on apple.com) :)

Or you can ask me, part of my job includes training/giving a crash course to new Mac users.

And if you get an Intel Mac, you can still boot Windows for those times you really have to use Windows

13. GrumpyOne

GrumpyOne Newbie

I thank you very much for the offer.

How many days to Christmas? :lol: