Advice for new portable HDD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by elton, Oct 24, 2007.

1. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Yo guy...

ok i think is time for me to grab a portable hard disk...any advice.. mainly for my storage and install vmware for server testing :D

Which is the harddisk is good and spec??
    which case is good why??

thankz :thumb:

2. cypris

cypris Newbie

what's your budget??

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Generally, the case is cheap. It's the hard drive that is expensive.

If you are on a tight budget, then go for a 3.5" case and hard drive. They will give you a larger capacity at a lower price. But it won't be as portable as the 2.5" case.

4. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Should be around 300 any brand???

How much is the different in term of price wise...

5. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. RM 300 for both drive and case? You will have to get a 3.5" then.

Well, it's a big difference. 2.5" cases tend to be more expensive, especially those with a built-in battery or card reader. I think the case itself would cost at least RM 120-150?

6. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Oh...I just mainly need some external hard disk and normal casing will do...no need so many features...prefer around 200GB not sure can get or not hahaa... heard that my friend got 1 unit of WD the case is stuck mean can not change HDD any more with 160GB cost him nearly 400...

What you all think, better get the one can change HDD or not..:think:

7. Adrian Wong

That's the WD consumer backup solution. There are similar solutions from other companies like Seagate. No need get that unless you want its value-added features like one-touch backup, backup software, auto-shutdown, FireWire connector, etc.

Yeah, just get a simple USB 2.0 case. The biggest cost will be that of the hard drive. BTW, when you use such a case, you should NOT leave it running. Always turn it off if you do not need to use it. Otherwise, your hard drive will "die" rather quickly.

8. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Ya ya true. wat i want is space only.. can not plug always....if i always run it for my vmware will it die faster also.. since it is like my another window will plug in for long time :wall: :wall:

wat i know those normal case just 1 usb 2.0 and 1 led just cost around RM20 saja :thumb:

9. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

how much capacity do you need? if you can always find a power plug when you want to use the portable hard disk, then go for 3.5", otherwise, if it's on the go... then no choice, you need to use 2.5" since it can just power on 2 USB ports.

Case better get good quality one also la. Get Vantec one :D or Coolermaster! LOL!

10. Adrian Wong

Vantec is usually OEMed from a Chinese/Taiwanese company.

Yeah, get a good quality one. Some even support auto-shutdown which will be important if you are the kind to leave the drive turned on all the time. :hand:

Also, the better cases will have the option for e-SATA and even Firewire.

11. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Is it make much different on the case if i do not need some special button like auto backup bla bla bla? But seem that coolermaster pretty actractive...:mrgreen:

Oh... ok... auto shutdown i may need it..i think IDE is good enough mainly for storage....I going to check out this weekend..

Anyway more idea more idea!!!!:p

12. Adrian Wong

Well, practically all cases support both IDE and SATA. But it's a good idea to double-check.

13. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

So don't have any password protected external HDDs? If so, that'll be uber great! :mrgreen:

14. Adrian Wong

Not that I know of. It will require the case to include an encryption module, or you will have to buy a hard drive with encryption built-in.

15. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Em... dun feel to have it...i mean once gone mean gone in term of spoil or missing, since i dun think it will be use by more than 1 person... :think: