AGEIA PhysX - useless?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by Max_87, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yea, those cards are a waste of money. :p I like Havok Physic's method which is to use the space cycle of the GPU. You don't really need anything dedicated to calculate how many times a rock will bounce... :lol:

3. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

Without even reading that review it's easy to conclude that just about no software products make proper use of the physics processor at the moment.

Since so few processors are sold you can't write wide market software (like games) that require it's presence. A good solution would be to do multiplayer games where only the server/host is required to have it, and the clients/players just benefit from the computed results.

Cheers
    Olle

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I read that there's going to be a game which only works on system with the card installed.

5. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

ouhh. that'll be a game that won't sell well.

6. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

hahahaha that developer must be very :wall: :wall: :wall:
    hahgahahahahaha

can close shop now and give me all the $$$

7. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Only Microsoft could pull off something like that :lol:

8. Chai

Hahaha...Reminds me of the 3dfx days...

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

They just commited marketing suicide.... :p Sure people are gonna drop $300 bucks to potentially play a $50 tops game. :p

10. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

Unless, it happens to be the next version of Quake.

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Still, would you drop $300 USD to play a $50 game? :mrgreen: I know I wouldn't... :D

12. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

Well, people are paying $400 for an XBox 360 and $60 for it's games, so yea I think people would be willing to pay that.

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Aha, but there's actually a big demand and hype for that as it was an established fan base since the previous xbox... You're comparing apples and oranges there... :D

Not as simple as that... :D Here is like something from the wild, we price it expensive and buy it so you can play a game! What's to stop me from not buying that card and playing other games that don't need it. Especially when it is slower at doing things that if my system was doing the calculations.... :wicked:

And keep that in mind when Havok (who has been in the business for a long time) has a physics engine that costs you nothing (except buying the game) but does the same thing but uses spare cycles from your GPU? :wicked:

This physX is a paperweight...

14. Chai

I think it costs less than $150 now.

15. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

What they need to do is tie up with either ATI (now under AMD) or NVIDIA. The PhysX logic should really be part of a graphics card, rather than a separate card.

That will really push it into the mainstream, by being shipped in millions of cards, instead of just hundreds.

16. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

I'm guessing that they have too much pride to do that...from the start it was billed as a solution in addition to a graphics card. And with ATI (nV too?) already working on their own physics solutions, I doubt they will let Ageia in. :think:

17. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, to say that they are working on a solution is not the same as having the solution.

I think they can just as easily add the PhysX technology directly into their cards, if they really want to do it.

18. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Nope...

NewEgg
    PriceGrabber

If I were them, I wouldn't let Ageia in either... :p

19. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=308&pgno=0 :p

Yeah, I suppose...perhaps even a partner such as Asus could do it, since they are producing both ATI cards and PhysX cards.

20. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

Why? The physics may have little correlation to what's shown on screen.

/Olle