Bogus University being recognized as legit??

Discussion in 'News' started by fyire, Aug 8, 2006.

1. fyire

fyire Newbie

Taken from: http://educationmalaysia.blogspot.com/2006/08/bogus-universities-iv.html

This particular Irish International University has been declared as a bogus Uni even by the Irish, and OUM still recognises their degrees? Odd huh?

But well, the other thing that came to mind about OUM was their radio ad that I heard. Went something like, "Want to do a Post Graduate degree but do not have the qualifications?" And went onto saying that you can do it at OUM. Got to wonder about their level of Quality Control here.

2. strawroot

strawroot I Lurrrve Panda Biscuit!

Looks like many ppl are getting into the OUM, the ads are everywhere in the papers. They said, no matter where u r from, u can always get a post-grad programme there

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Nuts, man... What's the use of a degree if you know nuts about the subject??? :nuts:

If this is what our government means by K (knowledge) economy, it's no wonder our economy's so bad. Our knowledge is THAT bad! :mad:

4. fyire

fyire Newbie

here's another good one:

From: http://educationmalaysia.blogspot.com/2006/08/doctor-are-you-qualified.html

Well, if I wanna go into conspiracy theories, I'll say that they've got a reason behind this. Trying to offset the frequent occurance of Malaysians going overseas to study and never coming back via the increasing volume tactic.
    Basically, recognizing Universities that are not recognized anywhere else, so Malaysians who graduated from there will have no other place to run to, but to return to Malaysia, thus increasing the graduate headcount. Unfortunately QC goes to hell though :)

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Haha.. Exactly. All they care about is filling the hospital with doctors. It doesn't matter what the quality is like, as long as they have enough to staff the hospitals.

IMHO, it's not that we don't have enough doctors in Malaysia. It's that the government doesn't treat them well enough to retain a good number in the gov hospitals.

It's not about the money. It's really about proper treatment. Instead of cultivating a culture of quality service in gov doctors, the government seems bent on burning them up during their forced 4-year stint in government service.

Long hours, low pay, lack of sleep, lack of training, they all describe government service for new medical graduates. Who wants to work for the government?

So, what does our government do? Increase pay to attract more doctors? Reduce working hours to increase efficiency and service quality?

Nope, our brilliant government has settled to instead ramp up "production" of more doctors. Quality can go to hell, we need numbers! :roll:

If you think the standard in even eminent universities like UM are superb, well, think again. My college was recently forced to adopt the "local standard" to bring them to par with universities like UM.

One might think that the government is trying to force them to adopt a higher standard. Oddly, no. Instead of a usual passing rate of 40%, they were forced to adopt a 90+% pass rate. Does that look like a higher standard? :roll:

6. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Well, I won't be as afraid of a public uni medical grad than one who has this on his door:

Dr. So and So, MBBS(Uganda)

Thing is, public medical students have a lot of practical experience (they must fulfil very stringent quotas of various type of practice in various specializations of Medical Practice. The way I see my sister's bf, he's either stuck in the hospital, or stuck in his campus.

The other more worrying one is the Indon medical unis. My friend's sister did not qualify for any public nor private medical schools in Malaysia, applied to Indonesia and overqualified in the BEST medical school there.

The only thing dubious about public uni grads is they tend to have an impressive transcript, as I found out from my sister who just recently graduated. But impressive transcripts does not matter as much in Medicine than practical experience. Impressive transcripts merely mean you have a photographic memory.

Yup, my sister's bf admitted their exams are crap, cos you basically memorize the whole textbook and cough it up again.

It's their requirement to fulfil the quota of experience in the hospital that redeems their quality. So yes, you can get 90% passes in Medical exams...

... but if you don't complete your quota, you cannot qualify to graduate. And that practical experience quota thingy alone, disqualifies many undergrads from graduating.