Cooler Master GX 550

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by karhoe, Sep 24, 2010.

1. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Guys, want to ask your opinion on this PSU

This is my new PC spec

Intel I5 760
    MSI P55-CD53
    Team Elite DDR3 2GB x 2
    MSI Cyclone GTX460 1GB GDDR5
    Cooler Master CM690 Advance II
    Level One Hi Gain N Wifi Adapter
    Cooler Master GX550
    Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB

Is this PSU good enough to run the system? Many people told me that the PSU is an ultimate crap but most of them said so because of the bad comment on GX750 here

Cooler Master GX 750 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets
    CM GX series heavy load problem,

What do you think about the GX 550 then?

If it's that bad I will seriously sell off this PSU and buy another one. What worries me most is because people are saying "the ripples will damage your components".

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

No one will know how bad is the ripple unless you have the equipment to test it. If you are in doubt, you should just sell it immediately.

3. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Did that, got myself a Seasonic 520W

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow... Didn't know the Cooler Master GX 550 is so crappy.

5. Chai

Cooler Master is never famous for its PSU. Seasonic is a PSU manufacturer and they are quite good.

6. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

Ripple generally doesn't damage any components unless the rise time is very quick, which also indicates a high peak current draw, it just makes the power supply unstable and makes components such as capacitors work a little harder. But it is always is in the best interests of stability and best working conditions to keep the ripple to a minimum.

Testing and gauging the quality of a PSU is hard work and an expensive investment on the part of the tester, thus figures are extremely hard to come by, not to mention test rigs for PSUs have to be one of the more dangerous points of electrical eng.

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, but didn't expect them to be so bad...

8. Chai

There's not many reputable PSUs in the market now. Although Corsair does not manufacture their own PSU, but they seem to be choosing the right manufacturer.

Their latest AX850 is getting very glowing reviews.

9. ana3mic

ana3mic Newbie

I got an GX-550 in October because the price was very good (it was on sale or something, about the price of a 400w seasonic). I was on a budget and my last PSU was not "fat" enough to handle the new parts, but it seems like a good unit for the few months I've been using it. The only chance I'm changing it is to get a modular one or more powerful for SLI. And even Corsair has problems with PSUs, google about their AX1200 (which is not something you buy everyday and should be done right).

10. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

karhoe,

good choice :thumb:

the seasonic is not expensive and good value for money