Data missing, after merging two partition into one

Discussion in 'General Software' started by nearownkira, Feb 15, 2008.

1. nearownkira

nearownkira Newbie

I merge two partition into one using partition magic, and one partition of the data is missing,how to recover it back?

I have used Partition Magic Pro 8.05 to merge two NTFS partitions on the primary master drive. The process took few hours and finished with:

- log screen with last line saying: All operations completed successfully
    - a message box with an error (unfortunately I don't know the number) but something like invalid argument or invalid attribute or invalid parameter

After restart of the PC there is a folder D_disk on the C: drive that should have contain the D: disk data but IT IS EMPTY and got error I cant open it, the file inside is 0 bytes

The OS is Windows XP.

- How can I (hope I can) recover the data?
    - What happened and why?

2. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

by merging two partition, both partition are deleted and merged, then reformatted into ntfs or fat32.
    so you need to use some recovery software, but don't hope you can recover all your file, as you keep using the hdd, more the data will not be able to be recovered.

3. cvasquez

cvasquez Newbie

Wow...this is really serious.
    This is what I suggest you do.

Get yourself GetDataBack for NTFS.
    Install it in this other computer if you have.
    Take out one of these partition hard drives and install it in the second computer that you have GetDataBack for NTFS and run it against this hard drive.
    Depending on how big the HD is will take anywhere between one hour to 12 hours to run.

The outcome will be successful. GetDataBack for NTFS does wonders. ;)