Desktop resolution or nothing?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by 1031982, Feb 17, 2006.

1. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Ok, as some or most know, I have a new monitor and video card. Now any 3D program that wants to go into full screen mode will minimize itself onto the task bar or crash unless it's at my desktop resolution. Well, the screen resolution is 1680x1050, not too friendly to set up a game. Now, this is also random. It's like every view times the program will open just fine. Here is a list of programs that I have had the problem with :
    Anything running through Steam
    Far Cry demo
    3DMark (all versions)
    FEAR demo (SP and MP)
    Visualizations (Like G-Force or WhiteCap)
    Serious Sam 2
    TrackMania Nations ESWC
    Stubbs the Zombie DEMO

Now as you can see, it’s independent of programs. I had this before as well, with my 9800 PRO, but I figured it was a limitation of the card. Now that I have a GeForce 7800GS, I don’t know what to do…
    I am running XP Pro SP2, latest drivers for everything, and that’s the only problem I have. Any ideas to what’s causing this and how to fix it? It really stinks because I have this great setup now, and I have to go crazy trying to manually configure things!

2. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Have you tried editing each game's config to set the resolution to 1680x1050?
    That's all I can think of right now.. :think:

3. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

That's just it, I can do it, but most games will only let you do that AFTER they have been loaded up, and more will only let you do it in game.