Disposing old hardware

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by atwl77, Mar 25, 2016.

1. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Where or how do you guys dispose of your old stuff (that may or may not be working anymore)?

Over the years I've accumulated a lot of junk. Lightning-zapped modems, old motherboards, old graphics cards. Heck, I still have that old full tower PC casing that I got from Adrian Wong nearly 20 years ago. I probably need to do some spring cleaning sometime by the end of the year.

2. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Burnt 56K modems, in the bin!

The old motherboards and the Gfx cards (if they are working), put it in lelong or lowyat.net forum for sale. It may not be a lot, but at the most you get some cash to buy a slice of cake and a cup of coffee in Starbucks.

I'm curious of that old tower PC - I guess it's a rare Pentium MMX system? :)

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Usually I will only keep "working". Most of the junks are already cremated. :haha:

4. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

On junked motherboards, you can rip out the EEPROM (Parallel or Serial [8pin]), or take out the CR2032 cell holder. They are usable in a lot of things. Even the little plastic jumpers are useful too, so salvage them.

Rest of it you can do a desoldering and resoldering practice area, depends on the chip. The QFP ones are still okay, but not the BGA ones. :)

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I used to take out things like jumpers, but I don't use them at all. Might take out the battery.

6. Helen Marr

Helen Marr Newbie

Here a couple of articles that can help people who want to get rid of old, unwanted hardware.
    Wikihow
    Digitaltrends

7. keetech

keetech Newbie

you can take stuff like that to the local hardware store? at least where I live.