document.onmousedown=disableselect

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by WayneB, Apr 21, 2010.

1. WayneB

WayneB Newbie

You guys suck for not allowing people to highlight the text in your articles by default.

All I wanted to do was highlight some text and right-click it so I could Google "KB971033", but nooooooo. You made me go all the way up to my options menu and completely block techarp[.]com and www[.]techarp[.]com from running Javascript.

What exactly do you think you're accomplishing by turning off this feature of text?

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Come on, how hard is it to type KB971033, its only 8 characters. :cool:

You can join the forum, and type 413 characters in the forum, that amount of time and effort could have you googled 50x :wicked:

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Now now. It is a fair question... Plus I am of the opinion of someone takes the time to register to voice something, the least that is owed is some of our attention...

But I'll leave it to someone else (who actually knows why) to answer though. :mrgreen:

Welcome to TechARP. Apart from some occassional sass (and apparently some lack of copy paste in the articles), this is a fairly nice and knowledgable community. :beer: :arp:

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, we used to allow people to highlight the text. Then we found that many people were liberally copying and pasting our articles and guides in forums and blogs without so much as proper credit or even a link back. That's when we decided to give this a try.

I understand your frustration, but please understand that we have to do something. There are many blogs that do nothing but copy and paste articles and guides from other sites. This is just one of the few ways we have to force them to do a little more work than just copy and paste other people's work.

5. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

Which articles don't allow you to copy and paste? Is it the editorials? I was just curious as you can copy and paste the BIOS Opt. with no trouble.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  6. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Me too... :think:

7. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

What browser are you guys using? :think:
    Firefox? :think:

I know I can't copy past with IE or Chrome :think:

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I think we have only started testing with the articles.

9. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

disable right click :p

10. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Firefox FTW!!! :dance:

11. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

Opera