Dome light set to 'door mode'

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ToyotaFreak, Feb 13, 2010.

1. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

So, I had an argument with the old man yesterday (And a big one at that.).

My dad's reason is that if the dome light is on, people can see what's in your car (Even if there's nothing.) and rob said person whose car's dome light is on. Also, he told me, while my uni overseas encourage students & staff to do that, it is not a good idea back in KL (One thing that I don't understand.).

Originally, my reason was that my mother can't see anything if it's dark (Was fumbling around, so I switched on for her, and set it to door, as per her request.) and that my dad always looks the car even before the door shuts (Powered sliding door.). I also regard it as another indicator if I didn't shut the door correctly (Though I always make it a habit to check all doors after locking up and lock up as soon as I/ everyone get in.).

Back overseas, even if I park in a well-lighted area (Which I usually do, especially in uni.), I find the dome light useful, as I will be able to tell if someone is next to the car trying to hide, or opening up one of the doors (I also use my torchlight to shine surrounding areas (Trees, next to other cars, shadows or if one of the dome light is dead.), just in case.).

One thing I find odd is that, wouldn't it be more dangerous if, lets say, the parking lot is not a well lit underground or a dark, open air type? I mean, someone could enter the car unknowingly which by then would have been too late.

One more thing, took my dad more than 4 weeks to notice it (He was away before that.).:mrgreen:

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

3. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

Short/ simpler version:

-Dome light= Interior light on the ceiling of the car. Is it really unsafe if switched to door (Interior light switches on if a door is opened.), or safe?

-My dad think it's the former (Unsafe), but I just can't see the logic behind that.

Sorry if I confused anyone, was typing whatever went through my mind.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, in KL I think it's not safe because passerby can see what is inside the car easily, and they might break the glass even if there's nothing really valuable inside. Some petty theif will even break the glass for coins!

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Dome light unsafe? No idea.

I always leave it to door because I can't see shit. You'll never know whats in your car. Maybe a crazy raccoon or a tarantula.

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I don't think it matters either way if it's set to turn on when the door is opened. Cause it will only turn on when you are around and have opened the door.

Turning it on while driving has its pros and cons. The pros would be that you can look for things inside the car, and your car would be more visible in the dark (less chance of accidents). On the other hand, having the light on while driving makes it easy for snatch thieves to spot handbags and other goodies.

Do remember that snatch thieves (at least here in Malaysia) have an MO of cruising past cars stopped at a traffic light and if they see a handbag or something of value, they will smash your window to snatch it and flee before the light turns green.