Don't try this at home!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ianho, Dec 23, 2007.

1. ianho

ianho Newbie

[​IMG]

I just took a quick pic n upload from my iPhone cam. Going out for sum supper. Will post the whole story later. :lol:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Woah.. What did you soak in there?? :D

3. ianho

ianho Newbie

A dirty, rotten, smelly Apple. :lol:

Anyway, here's the story about the dirty, rotten, smelly Apple. A warning 1st. The picture coming up is extremely gross n if u r about to eat sumthin, u better avoid the 1st pic. It's gruesome!

Here's how gruesome a KB gets after a year of usage. Food, dust, hair, n god knows what else ends up inside. I thought of just using compressed air and a microfiber cloth to wipe it clean. Then I decided to pry off a few keys to see how bad it is. I immediately decided that the only way to get it clean was a total bath after seeing how gross it was. :sweat:

[​IMG]

Close up shot of just how gross it is. :sweat:

[​IMG]

So, off I went to the bathroom to mix up a nice soapy bath for my dirty rotten Apple. :lol:

[​IMG]

Taped the USB plug to the wall so it stays dry.

[​IMG]

SPLASHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

[​IMG]

Scrubiddy scrub scrub. this is to get the surface of the keys back to brand new whiteness.

[​IMG]

Leaving it to soak for a while. This is for dissolving all the built up grease inside. I gave it sum vigorous shaking n swishing to make sure the soap water gets into all the parts. I'll just leave it there for a while b4 rinsing it out with clean water.

[​IMG]

That's it. It's still in the bucket of water right now. I'll go take it out, rinse it out n prepare it for drying. I'll update again after that.

4. Adrian Wong

LOL!!! I think I should give my Microsoft Natural Keyboard a bath soon too. :haha:

Hey, be sure to take a picture of the water after the bath! :D

5. ianho

ianho Newbie

Arghhhhhhhhhh I just poured it out. Didn't take pic. It was filthy. The color of the water was sorta like the color u get after washing a pair of shoes!

6. Adrian Wong

LOL!! Did you add Dettol? :D

7. ianho

ianho Newbie

haha. No wayyyyyyyy. I hate the smell of dettol. The KB smells really nice like a bouquet of flowers now thanks to the Tesco detergent. :thumb:

8. Adrian Wong

Hey, take a picture of the clean keyboard. Let's see just how much cleaner it is! :D

9. ianho

ianho Newbie

The keyboard has been renamed Snow White. No more rotten apple. :lol: Will take pics of it 2moro.

10. Adrian Wong

ROTFL!! That's a good one! :thumb:

11. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

erm.. should you take out the small circuit board first? :p

12. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

That would depend on the drying time and procedure where I work remotes for car starters and alarms take unplanned baths all the time not always to a good end :D

Can't wait to see Snow White :mrgreen:

13. Adrian Wong

Too much work, I think. I wouldn't bother either. :haha:

But I would really make sure it's completely dry. :mrgreen:

14. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Wow, must definitely try this!

15. ianho

ianho Newbie

Wokeh, finally got time to take pics n upload after a hectic xmas week.

Just look at how spanking clean the KB is now. N no scrubbing involved too. All I did was dunk the KB into the bucket n swirl it in the soap water.

[​IMG]

This was how it looked like b4 washing.

[​IMG]

Everything done. Keys installed back n looking nice n shiny white like new. :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll just leave it to dry for a week to make sure it's nice n dry.

16. Adrian Wong

Wow.. So clean without even scrubbing them? :think:

17. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

That is so clean!

18. ianho

ianho Newbie

It's been sitting on my table for a few weeks now. Was too lazy to set it up with my other rig. Finally got to doing it a few days ago, everything's working perfectly. The numbers 3 n 8 were a bit wonky at first, after hitting the keys fast for about 30 seconds, they work properly now. I suppose the contact pads had a wee bit of residue left on it.

19. cypris

cypris Newbie

....your bathroom looks very similar to mine LOL

20. ianho

ianho Newbie

That is no longer a bathroom. It's a mutated bathroom that only gets used for modding stuff. It shud now be called the modroom. Looking at ur Location, it prob is the same. :lol: