Download speeds slowed down tremendously

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Pmaw10, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Pmaw10

Pmaw10 Newbie

I have no idea what's going on. The loading time for web pages is the same as always. I did a bandwith speed test and it was normal. But when I try downloading something with IE explorer or firefox the most i get is 7kb/s compared to the 80-90 kb/s I usually get. Any idea what the problem is? This is the one thing I don't want messed up since I do a lot of downloading.

2. decypher

decypher Newbie

Looks like we have a new arsonist brother with us today.

3. Pmaw10

Pmaw10 Newbie

uh...ok? that definately helped

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL!! He thinks you are complaining about traffic shaping by TMNet, an ISP provider in Malaysia.

Where are you downloading from? Within the country, or outside the country?

5. Pmaw10

Pmaw10 Newbie

I am downloading in america from america. I have tried downloading various files from internet explorer. It started when I noticed my torrent speed was low. I thought it was the file because it had a low number of seeds but i downloaded another torrent with over 400 seeds and the speed was no better. I went on the other computer and the speed was the same so its either the modem or the isp, not my computer.

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. Could be bandwidth shaping by your ISP. Just like what's happening recently over here. :(

Nothing much you can do about it, except maybe encrypt the transfer protocol in Bittorrent. That will bypass bandwidth shaping for Bittorrent traffic, but won't do squat if they are shaping bandwidth for ALL traffic.

It also forces you to connect to fewer clients. But if you can connect to one that supports encryption, well, you are in business. Unless of course, they are shaping bandwidth for ALL traffic. :(

7. decypher

decypher Newbie

I've got an extra lighter.