ED#106 : Windows Vista Service Pack 2’s Latest Release Schedule

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Nov 23, 2008.

1. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

perhaps a quick re-arrangement for now. maybe you can place the latest update on page 1, with the rest on second page because frankly, i got totally lost reading it. cheers!

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hahaha.. I didn't have time to resummarize it, that's why I just tacked on the latest updates. :haha: Sorry about that! :D

I intend to revamp it soon and if possible, return it to a single page.

3. Adrian Wong

4. noel_pg3

noel_pg3 Newbie

5. noel_pg3

noel_pg3 Newbie

I've been nearly right on this one. Check out this recent Neowin.net article, Adrian:
    Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 SP2 reaches RTM

The Neowin.net article says that Vista SP2 final RTM build number is 6.0.6002.18005.

6. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Will need to check with my source(s). Thanks, noel! :beer:

7. Adrian Wong

8. noel_pg3

noel_pg3 Newbie

thanks Adrian. I have been away for over a week and Vista SP2 has been made available for MSDN & Technet subscribers on the MSDN Subscription and Technet Subscription downloads pages on April 30. Public availability of Vista SP2 still targeted sometime near the end of this month, surely the week after Memorial Day.

9. Adrian Wong

Thanks! Posted the updates already. :beer:

10. noel_pg3

noel_pg3 Newbie

More Vista SP2 downloads, including the slipstreamed SP2 DVD ISO images for various editions of Vista, the checked builds, language packs and symbol releases of SP2 have been made available on MSDN/Technet as I've recently looked myself, many of them were posted May 11 and a few others posted on May 14. Users with MSDN or Technet subscription accounts sure get the Vista SP2 stuff before the general public does.

UPDATE [May 23]: According to the comments on the Notable Changes in Windows Server 2008 SP2 and Vista SP2 page, Thomas Lee says that SP2 will be available on Windows Update and Microsoft Download Center [RTW] on Tuesday, May 26. Automatic Update distribution of SP2 will begin on Tuesday, June 30.

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  11. noel_pg3

noel_pg3 Newbie

From this MS Technet forum thread about Vista SP2 RTM I've just found, one MS official confirms that Vista SP2 will be released to the public [RTW] on May 26.

So Adrian, update your Vista SP2 Release Schedule article right away to mention the actual release to web date about Vista/Server 2008 SP2.

12. Adrian Wong

Thanks, noel!! :thumb: :thumb:

13. Adrian Wong

14. noel_pg3

noel_pg3 Newbie

Microsoft has now posted Windows Vista/Server 2008 Service Pack 2 at both Microsoft Download Center and Microsoft Update Catalog (search for Vista Service Pack 2 at MUC). See the "New downloads" section of MS Download Center for the SP2 downloads.

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  15. Adrian Wong

Just checked. Still not available on my Windows Update. Very likely a tiered release.

16. Adrian Wong

17. noel_pg3

noel_pg3 Newbie

Are you sure, Adrian? I've just checked the MS Technet forums and some Vista users were able to obtain SP2 from Windows Update late yesterday or early today. perhaps it's not available from your region yet.

We do know that Vista SP2 will be distributed through Automatic Updates starting June 30 and that the standalone SP2 downloads are also available on Microsoft Update Catalog [I've edited my earlier post to reflect on that].

Microsoft has released "Wave 1" (aka. All Language) edition of Vista SP2 to MSDN/Technet subscribers on May 22 at the MSDN/Technet Subscription Downloads page as I've recently checked myself.

So about Vista SP2 (Wave 1) seemingly being RTM'ed 6 weeks after (Wave 0) Adrian, change it to 4 as it looks like MS made Wave 1 to MSDN/Technet subscribers sooner than expected. Wave 0 of Vista SP2 was given to MSDN/Technet subscribers on April 30. RTW of Wave 1 (All Language) edition of SP2 still yet to be determined.

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  18. Adrian Wong

Yeah, I forgot where but Microsoft mentioned something about a tiered release worldwide on Windows/Automatic Update. It's expected really, as they would need to limit the load on their servers.

Hehe, looks like they are really pushing SP2 out as quickly as they can! :D

19. Adrian Wong

20. noel_pg3

noel_pg3 Newbie

well, Adrian, it's already June 24 PDT (pacific daylight time in my area) and no sign of Wave 1 of Vista/Server 2008 SP2 posted at Microsoft DLC. Looks like they're not ready to release the all language standalone SP2 downloads yet.

RTW of Wave 1 Vista SP2 status should be changed to "TBD" in your Vista SP2 release schedule article as I don't see MS releasing it at all this week. Or you may want to read this MS Technet forum thread as someone there recently mentioned on when the all language SP2 pack could be available for public download.