ED#112 : Microsoft Windows 7 Free Upgrade Program Screw-Ups!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

The announcement of the free upgrade option program for Windows 7 have kept sales of PCs up, even during this economic downturn. Not only were there pent-up sales from folks who stayed their purchases earlier to take opportunity of this free upgrade program, it also generated interest from buyers who were piqued by the possibility of getting a free Windows 7 license.

Unfortunately, the people who benefited the most from this program, namely Microsoft's OEM partners, seemed to be sabotaging the very program that was saving their collective asses during this economic downturn. Many people who purchased their PCs under the program from OEMs like HP, Toshiba and Dell have encountered mind-numbing obstacles in getting their free copy of Windows 7.

Most of these buyers encountered complications during the registration process, some of which were intentional.

[​IMG]

Link : ED#112 : Microsoft Windows 7 Free Upgrade Program Screw-Ups!

2. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I don't understand, do we need to register for that free copy of 7? My friend just bought a laptop with Vista Premium, now what? Register it? How?

3. Adrian Wong

It depends on the OEM actually. By right, if you registered your laptop/PC with them for warranty purposes, they should not require you to register separately for the free upgrade. But I believe many are insisting on that.

4. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Do we need to register with Microsoft on their website?

5. Adrian Wong

No, you deal directly with the OEM.

6. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Okay, found Toshiba Win 7 upgrade website, not sure if they are charging for the shipping of the media lol, can we like download the upgrade file?

7. Adrian Wong

No, I don't remember reading about downloads. :think: