Email clients

Discussion in 'General Software' started by hyper_raider, Feb 15, 2007.

1. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

Just want to see what the general consensus are here, what email clients do most of you use?

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

MS Outlook.

3. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

yup same. :faint: :faint:

4. zicovsky

zicovsky Newbie

damn.. must have been years since i used an email client.. i just use gmail..

but I used to use Eudora, it was great..

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

MS Outlook here too. :mrgreen:

6. hyper_raider

I use mutt :D

7. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

Sylpheed, Outlook and Phoenix Mail

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Butt?

LOL! jking... :haha:

I just use outlook... :p

9. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

used to use netscape messenger, now i simply read my mail online. :wave:

10. hyper_raider

Hmm no thunderbird users?

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I kinda wanted to try it. But I heard it can't handle a lot of emails... :think:

12. hyper_raider

It handles emails fine, whoever told you that is drunk

13. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

Mozilla Thunderbird

14. CelticElf

CelticElf Newbie

MS Outlook

I have uninstalled many many many installations of "Incredimail" from friends computers though. And getting the mail out of it is a pain too.... :wall:

15. zicovsky

zicovsky Newbie

I used to use incredimail.. damnnn, so long ago.. brings back memories..

16. CelticElf

CelticElf Newbie

Incredimail used to have a version that hooked in to MS Outlook, but I found it caused more problems that it offered in "nice stationery" and I uninstalled it. Since then, they have discontinued their Outlook add-on (must have got tired of all the complaints and RFS's I sent them !) :roll:

17. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Thunderbird user here. But I can't say I'm happy with it at the current version. Compared to MS Outlook (even just on the mail client functionality) it's quite far away at the moment.
    Outlook 2007 is tempting... but the new version of thunderbird looks promising, so I'll remain a thunderbird user for now.

Since i offload emails from the mail server, it's not that easy to just switch clients, I've got years and years of emails in my email database.

One thing I don't like about thunderbird is the way it handles it's file system (db).... it's so inefficient and requires me to move emails off the main inbox immediately and regularly compact the folders in order to keep it working. otherwise, the rules and junk mail system would just go haywire. seriously retarded there.

18. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Well, in a certain way, it's true. the performance of thunderbird when downloading hundreds of mails at one time is not on par imho. even at it's best, its feels just as fast as outlook. it has so little features at the moment and is very uncustomisable too. you can't have a reading pane for just certain folders like outlook for example, a feature that's very useful when you use rules to send trusted emails to certain folders.

IMHO, it feels like the settings options of firefox and thunderbird are built for dummies, so little options available to set. the more advanced ones? you've to go into the settings page and set them manually without a menu system that could explain what they are or do them in bulk. Seriously. Just like the setting of the default fonts for the emails. till today, I still can't get it right. sheesh.