Forums Suggestions & Problems

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Chai, May 14, 2003.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Great! The server should be fast. I don't think phpBB is that processor intensive.

I think it was all due to the buggy log analyzer. Once it crashes, it just sucks up ALL available CPU time... at the expense of everything else. The server just CRAWLS when that happens.

I've had to delete the process a couple of times in the past just to get the server going again. Closing the log analyzer didn't work for some reason.

We have already upgraded to a newer version of the log analyzer. Doesn't seem to be causing the same problem. Hehe...

But if you still find the forums slow, please do let us know again! Thanks! :D

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

wondering...... different ppl from different continent view different ads ?.. or same?.. esp. between uk & malaysia

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

This is not a problem, nor a suggestion... :arp:

4. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

i know!! i know!! *raises hand* it's a QUESTION. again it's not related. neither is this post.

so here's my suggestion to a problem.
    Problem :
    getting out of topic
    offensive/contraversial issues.

Suggestion :
    a simple guide on what to post and not to post. and what should/should not the admins lock blablablablabla.

5. zy

i'm on a non-malaysian proxy le.. thats why i'm askin..

6. Adrian Wong

LOL! Well, many of the ads are geographically targeted. That's why those outside the US won't see most of the paying ads. What you see now are most likely default ads.

BTW, how did you get on a non-Malaysian proxy??

7. zy

8. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

So, is it better that we use proxy? :think:

9. Adrian Wong

Actually... it is... IF you don't want people tracking you... :whistle: :whistle:

10. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

How to use it actually? If then, I won't be able to host games already right? :think:

11. Adrian Wong

Host games? Shouldn't be a problem... cause you only set it to proxy for HTTP and FTP only... In fact, if you want, you can restrict it to HTTP only...

If you want to try out the proxies, just select one. Try to get one that has a good connection to you. Usually, that would be one in Malaysia or the US. Other countries may be slower...

Anyway, just open IE, go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections.

If you are using ADSL / modem, click on Settings under Dial Up/VPN Settings.

If you are using a LAN shared connection, click on LAN Settings instead.

In the next page, you can enter the proxy IP and its port. Make sure everything is correct, click OK. Close IE and open it again. The proxy should be working now! :)

12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Woohoo... thanks. Using it now. :dance:

Hmm... but having problems. I can't post in this forum. Funny... :think:

Any recommended proxy?

13. Adrian Wong

Hah? Can't post in this forum?? That's weird... :think:

What proxy did you use? Try a different proxy. I don't think we banned any IP yet. :think:

I recommend US-based proxies since our server is based in the US = lower latency. Also, since TMNet's lines are mainly to the US, you will get better speed using a US-based proxy too.

14. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I tried 4-5 US proxies already. Funny... cannot. :think:

I took them from the page posted up there. But I chose the 'high anonymity' ones. :think:

15. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

There are... 'high anonymity', 'anonymous' and 'transparent'. Should choose the first one right? :think:

--> Edited: But it works for the 'anonymous' one. I think your forum don't allow 'high anonymity' le. :D Ooooo... and I can see your ads. :lol:

16. Adrian Wong

LOL! Then use the normal anonymous ones... :mrgreen:

Yeah, I guess the high anonymity proxies might be a bit problematic...

17. onscr33n

onscr33n Newbie

blah blah blih blih.

i demand a Linux column!!! At least newbies can gather around and help around :D

hhmm.~

18. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

There's no demand for one now. There's virtually no discussion on Linux.

19. drab

drab Newbie

Linux?floor covering,innit :lol: Have you reset the timing between posts,or is it me :?: :oops:

20. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yeah... I think it's about 1 minute now. :think: