free firewall?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by u suck.com, Nov 18, 2006.

1. u suck.com

u suck.com ■ ■ ■ ■

any recommendations on free firewalls? i have been using zone alarm for a long time now but the true vector thing is giving me a lot of problems, and i cant seem to fix it.. :cry:

i've found one called 'Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall' ..is it any good? :think:

2. decypher

decypher Newbie

How about Sygate?

3. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

Would definately recommend sygate

4. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Yeah, AFAIK Sygate has been discontinued for a while now but it works really well :thumb:

5. u suck.com

u suck.com ■ ■ ■ ■

discontinued? do they still provide updates and stuff? :think:

6. hyper_raider

THere are no virus definitions so why want updates?

Another option is to have a hardware firewall

7. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yeah, Sygate rox0r! No problems at all especially with file-sharing which I had tons of problem with Zone Alarm. :D

8. u suck.com

u suck.com ■ ■ ■ ■

cool..i'll go uninstall zonealarm and giv sygate a try :cool:

9. u suck.com

u suck.com ■ ■ ■ ■

my upnp for utorrent doesnt work after i installed sygate...which app should i allow to make it work?

10. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall works fine for me.
    It's free with some features unavailable, and it's cheap to get it all.

It's very easy to configure and warns not only about traffic to and from the computer, but also when one application tries to run another.

/Olle

11. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Doesn't it prompt when utorrent decides to access the network? Mine did... :think: Well, check the lists for utorrent and allow it then. :D

12. u suck.com

u suck.com ■ ■ ■ ■

sygate is really sensitive..even when i allowed utorrent, some connections were STILL blocked...and i cant get a green 'tick' for my network status...

anyway, i'm using sunbelt kerio firewall now, it works pretty good...but whenever i clicked on the config window, it takes a LONG time to show up. (but other apps are running just fine)

dunno why :think:

13. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

The worst firewall, from the users point of view, I've ever encountered is nVidia's ActiveArmor hardware firewall, built into my motherboard and partly the reason why I bought that MB in the first place.
    It's so strict by nature that even at the lowest security setting it would make websurfing a real PITA. Downloading files larger than 100kB was (is?) just about impossible!
    My only option was to turn it off completely and rely on the software firewall.

/Olle

14. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Olle P: i dun even bother to install it. always uncheck the option

15. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, the green tick is not only for open ports. Your downloads may be limited by your UPLOADS.

If you are not uploading enough, utorrent automatically limits your downloads. ;)

16. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I'm using sygate now... works fine for me :mrgreen:

17. hyper_raider

to get the green tick you will need to open up the port you are using in utorrent.

Go to Tools > Advanced Rules > Add

Thats how you add and then you just allow connection through the particular port you are using