Going back to Bridge Mode...

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by The_YongGrand, Jan 25, 2006.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

So I finally turned my Aztech DSL600EU back to a basic Cable modem - I turned on the bridge function.

And I can 'dial' straight without having to do 192.168.1.1...

But - I'm planning to put a Wireless Router with the modem - but I don't want to make the router to save my ISP password. I want to dial then share the connection. Could it be done? I've tried searching and searching but can't find any clue... :shock: :D

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that's possible. :think:

I think you need to use your router to dial up your modem. :think:

3. The_YongGrand

So the wireless router will auto-dial like I used to?

Uh... I'm not really sure - but I don't like the idea of keeping any ISP passwords inside the router. Silly TMNet told me that this DSL600EU modem is susceptible to some line cloning or whatever it is, that's why my bills shot up.

Now I turned my DSL600EU back into a normal dial-to-the-broadband modem. I mean, still I need the NA8300 to make it auto-dial right? :wall:

4. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

usually these modems comes with some software that lets you do dial-up for adsl rather than let the modem do it for you.. i guess it's safer as you need to key-in your password everytime (don't save)... :whistle:

5. The_YongGrand

Ad-hoc mode

Okay. I get it. But I'm just planning to install a Wireless Router since I'm sharing the connection.

But there's even faster way to do the whole thing with Ad-Hoc mode which is two computers doing wireless together.

I read all about it - but does Ad-Hoc permit Internet connection sharing? Should I bridge the Wireless-NIC with my Wired-LAN card when in Windows? :haha:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Huh? Line cloning?? :confused:

How is that possibly due to the ADSL modem??? :think:

Err.. Why do you want to use the Ad-hoc mode? Just set up your wireless network using the Infrastructure mode.

IMHO, unless you are an expert in networking and know what you are doing, better keep it simple. That's what I'm doing. Hahaha... :mrgreen: