Got Any News About Non-Ref for HD4870?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by starboykb, Oct 21, 2008.

1. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

:?: i was wondering what happen to Gigabyte, since Asus already announced Dark knight version for HD4870. I was wondering if anyone got rumors and news about GB side cuz i didn't know I have a Gigabyte seller in my country. ^^;;;;

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

What is the speciality of the non-reference card?

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Only USUS has non-reference 4870 AFAIK, but why are you looking for a GB non-reference card anyway?

4. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

i am using Cosmos 1000 chassis. I know the cooling might going to cause problem for long term if i used the reference one. Just want to be extra careful

5. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

well,most major brand has already have non-reference 4870. brands like gainward,sapphire..maybe you could try the 4870GS by Gainward..Seems not bad :)

6. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

4870 from Gainward looks pretty cool (It's actually exactly the same as the Palit one except for color, since Gainward is owned by Palit. Only difference is that Palit is usually more active in the USA and Gainward is more active in Europe). There's also a 4870 from Club3D which has a ZeroTherm cooler on it, that's exactly the same as the PowerColor 4870 (Same story as Gainward/Palit).

Palit Radeon HD 4870 Sonic Dual Edition review
    PowerColor HD4870 PCS+ Review - Overclockers Club

7. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Oops, I mean non-reference PCB design. There are a lot of cards using non-reference cooler.

I wouldn't bother if I were you. The stock cooler works perfectly fine unless you are planning to overclock or you need something quieter.

8. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

indeed, not to mention custom cooler and custom pcb too...If i were you, i'll refrain from getting non-reference gigabyte gpus...Had issue with them previously :haha:

9. Chai

I rather have reference design. I've never really seen a good non-reference card since Canopus more than 10 years back. These days, they are merely cutting costs.

10. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

meh, imagine the card having issue after 2 months :(...

11. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Yup, the only good non-reference card I've used myself was the old 9600XT, overclocks much better than reference cards.

12. Midicow

Midicow Newbie

13. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

I did order it, but no stock at the moment (found one local shopwilling to help me order). This Palit and Gainward card sell like fresh cake. I have to wait until end of Nov. :wall: Anyway, still a good time saving my money.

I dont think newsegg ship internationally. i tried before and read the FAQ.:|

I think the reference card like NV is good only. I dont see ATI got a good ref on cooling unless you got a good cooling chassis.

14. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

lol,maybe i can assist you in getting the card :D..that is if you want :)

15. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

How about grabbing a card with a reference cooler and then an aftermarket cooler if things get too toasty? An Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo isn't too expensive :think:

16. Chai

Oh...you are talking about the cooler, not the PCB.

Doesn't really matter. I will change the cooler anyway, reference or not. :lol:

17. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

same here...Well, chai..you running WC mah :p...so different...XD...Getting a new cooler (on the way now :D)

18. Chai

I used to buy after market coolers like Zalman VF700, VF900. I don't really like the idea of water cooling graphics card since it's going to be a hassle if I remove the motherboard.

19. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

i only buy after market cooling after my warranty is over. no money to play around with the card.

20. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

well, most brand does not void warranty if remove the cooler. heck, as for my gigabyte..i already remove it twice(first time on my 3870 card and 2nd time on my 4850 card) and they are still able to RMA. Brands like Gainward does not allow user to change the cooler thus voids the warranty. To be on the safe side, just check if is there a sticker on the under the card where the 4 screws is attach to the core of the GPU.Well, have fun waiting for 3 years to pass =-=....by then, i think you have already purchase a new gpu :D