Hard disk cause slow Windows load....

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by vccy118, Jan 20, 2006.

1. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

I just bought a brand new 80GB Samsung SATA hard disk and after i plug it to a friend's computer, the computer experience a slow windows load(5 minutes or so to get into windows), other than that all is ok. I intentionally bought the hard disk as a external hard disk for my notebook, but when I plug it to my notebook(any notebook or desktop) through a SATA to USB 2.0 enclosure, the transfer rate either will go very very slow, like a whole 30 minutes just to transfer 200MB anime episode or no transfer rate at all(the hard disk is on but no load at all :wall: :wall: ). I tried the enclosure with a western digital SATA hard disk and it runs just fine. Is it my hard disk or my enclosure at fault here?? :think: :think: :think:

1 person likes this.
  2. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

probably the HDD. maybe should browse samsung website for some technical support or updates... :think:

3. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

Hm, i will try it...
    I bought the HDD from Lowyat... changing it will be a pain... :wall:

4. lklatmy

lklatmy Newbie

Both my rigs are using the same HDD model and no problem at all. :)

5. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

Well, people recommend Samsumg so i buy it... *sigh*
    I was hoping it was the enclosure that have problems, :mrgreen:

6. athlonxp

athlonxp Newbie

did u try putting the HD into another sata port?

1 person likes this.
  7. aKho

still got warranty right? i think maybe you were just unlucky. samsung HDD's shouldn't be that bad.. change it if you can and get a spiffy new one. :mrgreen:

8. Jet

Jet Just Started

He is staying in Sarawak.. :mrgreen: That is problematic.

1 person likes this.
  9. aKho

problematic but not impossible. if it's to salvage an 80GB HDD i would go ahead and save myself RM200+ than to get a new one (especially if you have a spare to use in the meantime).

try and locate if there is any Samsung dealers and see if you can liase with them. if not, you'll probably have to call up the lowyat shop you bought it from and proceed from there. it's just a matter of shipping and waiting for a replacement. :mrgreen:

1 person likes this.
  10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It could be enclosure issue. Have you tried plugging into the SATA port directly?

11. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

That is the point. If i directly plug the HDD to a SATA port in a computer, then it gives the computer a 5 minute-or-so lag when loading windows. Other than the lag, no other problem at all.

12. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

Yes, as I mentioned earlier. What I want to know is that if the HDD cause the computer to lag when loading windows, will it cause the enclosure to fail to read the HDD? The HDD when connected to the enclosure, the transfer will either be very very low, transfer for like 1-2 seconds and then stop or just zero transfer speed. And after it stops transfering files, the whole computer will 'hang' until I unplug the USB port from the computer.

13. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

Yes, still got waranty, coz right after I bought it then i realize it cannot work properly with my enclosure... so unlucky... :cry: :cry: :wall: :wall:

1 person likes this.
  14. aKho

wait, when directly plugged-in (withiout enclosure), your using it to bootup windows? yet it's still very slow? or like normal windows loading?

using it with the enclosure as the primary bootup is not a good idea.. it may not be powered efficiently from the usb ports, thus may cause lost of data and sometimes random crashes.

imo, it's not the enclosure as it's working properly with the western digital HDD, thus it's your Samsung HDD.

15. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

Well, of course i am not using it as the primary bootup since it is completely empty :think: . Anyway it still lags a bit when i connect it directly to a computer. If the hard disk works well when directly connected to a computer, there is a possibility that it is not compatible with the enclosure, right :think: ? I just want to know either the lag can cause the HDD to malfunction in the enclosure or not. I plan to exchange the enclosure for another brand (the shopkeeper agreed on it already) but i want to confirm my suspicion 1st :think: (won't be good if I cause unnecessary trouble for him, right? :lol: ).

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  16. aKho

so it works well when directly connected but a bit slow only...the western digital HDD not like that right? sure it's not the HDD that is the problem? since it's new, why only change the enclosure? change the HDD as well.. or better yet, bring it over to the vendor and let him test it out.. :mrgreen:

17. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

LOL! Now i get what you meant! haha! Ok, i think i will do that, thx for the advice.

1 person likes this.