Heatsink attachment?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ishtim, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

For some reason, my trusty old P4-2.4 (ASUS P4B mobo) has "popped" its northbridge heatsink. It is secured by these little "U" shaped clips (see pic attached) that are secured to the mobo's underside.

Is there some kind of thermal paste glue that I can use to repair this or should I attempt to put in new loops of wire where the clips once were? :think:

Not sure how long its been this way, but it still runs fine...

Attached Files:

2. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

mine is using screw. not sure if u can use thermal paste. should be okie i guess :p

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, you can use thermal epoxy to glue it back. I think it's quite hard to solder back the clip.

1 person likes this.
  4. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Loooooook at that jumper! :D

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

If you want to really secure it, you can insert some wire and solder them into place. But I think it's easier to just glue the heatsink to the chip.

Even thermal paste should work fine, if you leave the clip in place to make sure gravity doesn't pull the heatsink off. Air pressure should keep the heatsink glued to the chip.

6. Chai

It is very easy to break using that method. You forgot how strong the clips were?

7. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

I ordered the 2 part Arctic Silver adhesive stuff and I'll give that a try. thanks! :thumb:

8. Adrian Wong

Yeah, the clips are really strong. :think:

9. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Got the heatsink "glued" back on. I used an old hammer head to weight it down. Will test it out tomorrow.

10. Adrian Wong

What glue did you use?

11. Chai

Arctiv Silver adhesive.