Help oc Athlon 64 +3000...newb

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by eg660, Dec 24, 2004.

1. eg660

eg660 Newbie

Another question? :lol: If I loosen my ram timings do you guys think I could go higher? :lol:

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I got mine at www.zipzoomfly.com . :D
    Its not really that hard. Just install it like you would to any other motherboard. Be careful with the CPU though. ;) Dont bend the pins or anythin. :D Make sure u clean off the thermal pad/grease and reapply a new one.

As for you ram clock, leave it at 200 (DDR is 200x2=400MHz.) If you loosen up your timings, you can get higher overclocks... ;)

All the best! :thumb: :beer: Keep us updated.. ;)

3. eg660

eg660 Newbie

okay...what timings should I put in these?
    CAS Latency(CL)=
    TRCD=
    TRAS=
    TRP=

If I change my motherboard this will be the first time do you think I could still do it?

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well, there is a first for everything.. ;) As for those ram timings, download CPU-Z and they should tell you what is currently set for them... ;)
    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php#download

5. eg660

eg660 Newbie

Here are my timings:

Frequency 183.3Mhz
    FSB:Dram CPU/12.0
    CAS#Latency 2.5
    RAS# to CAS# Delay 3
    RAS# Precharge 3
    Cycle time 7
    BAnkcycle time 10
    DRAM Idle timer 16

I have no idea what these things mean...so should I change it if i should How?

6. MooCow

MooCow Newbie

i dunno about the last 2, but the cas# to cycle time, is what ur memory is running at.

so basically uring doing 2.5, 3, 3, 7

generally you try and set them as low as possible. ram is best at Cas#2

7. the lower latency it is, the better it should perform, in general. amd prefers lower latency ram, and intel just goes for fsb.

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

You're running an A64, the FSB shouldn't be at 180. Its stock is at 200FSB...

As for ram, it is 2.5-3-3-7. When you crank up the FSB and ur pc becomes unstable, try reducing the ram divider... :mrgreen:

9. MooCow

MooCow Newbie

10. eg660

eg660 Newbie

PsYkHoTiK- But that is the frequency that CPUZ is showing..why is it like that? As fot the ram timings..could you give me an idea on how low should I set the timings...thanks...

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I dunno. You should check your BIOS. See if its set to 200. I find it weird that it aint. But stock should be at 200. ;)

As for ram timings, just leave em as it is. They're good to go.. ;)

12. eg660

eg660 Newbie

Okay i reduced my timings to 3-4-4-8 and now I could crank up my FSB upto 221....but when the timing is at 2.5-3-3-7 i cannot load windows...

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well, it was ur ram that was holding u back then. Instead of running it at 3-4-4-8, why dont u up the voltage a bit and run it at 2.5-3-3-11? Maybe 2.5-4-4-11. Try those out. Up the voltage to 2.7v or 2.8v (at your own risk though ;) ) The ram should be able to take it.. ;)

14. eg660

eg660 Newbie

okay I raised the DDR voltage upto 2.7 and th timings @ 2.5-4-4-11 but the start up was a little sluggish...and the registry repaired something so I placed a timing 2.5-4-4-8 and windows start....i am now @ 223FSB @1.525v should i still raise the volt?

15. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

That frequency is the RAM frequency. He must be using 5:6 RAM divider.

16. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Oh yeah... Was a bit blur... :oops:

The ram voltage should be good enough. Try and increase the vcore voltage by 1 increment... and see how high you can go...

17. eg660

eg660 Newbie

okay my computer crashed again....did I damage anything? I reset my bios to default I could open windows but it is not working correctly so I used my recovery disk and the thing I did before but now when I try to reinstall windows I could not install VIARAID.sys....so when I start windows There is an error screen....this sux so bad... :wall: I am now using my fathers computer.. :wall: Help! :wall:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  18. MooCow

MooCow Newbie

i would be inclined to think that yea mebbe you messed corrupted ur windows too much to be repaired. um try and optain a full copy of xp somehow.

19. eg660

eg660 Newbie

A full copy are you for real? I have OEM what could I do? That would be so expensive....

20. MooCow

MooCow Newbie

um yougotpm~!