How To Fix The PCI Express x1 Bug

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Mar 21, 2008.

1. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Not sure if it is the same thing, but I think know where you're going - non-overclocked systems are affected.
    Ok. I'll check my system later to confirm. Thanks. :D

2. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

what? non-overclocked system are affected?

i'm totally confused :confused:

3. CoreOxide

CoreOxide Newbie

Heya;

I have a GigaByte GA-P31-S3G with a X1950XT, also suffering from this.... But my mobo doesn't have the options the guide says to change... what else can solve this?

4. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

you sure your board has got no control over northbridge voltage?

5. CoreOxide

CoreOxide Newbie

It has, but only overvoltage control. Plus it's on 1.3V, so it's below 1.45.

6. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

i just took a look @ your bios, are you saying you get the bug when you put (G)MCH OverVoltage Control as [Normal] ?

7. CoreOxide

CoreOxide Newbie

Yep :(

8. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

Hmm, I really have no idea, is everything running at stock?

9. CoreOxide

CoreOxide Newbie

Yep... I reseted the BIOS, still x1. I'll RMA the whole PC, let them break their head :p

10. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

you bought the PC as a whole?

Some people bought such motherboards from newegg. But when they RMA it, they got a X38 back @ no extra cost (worth almost double of what he bought).

11. Ludditus

Ludditus Newbie

Same problem, non-OCed system, can't fix

I am seeing this same issue with a brand new build. Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R motherboard + Palit 8800GT Sonic. I have tried tweaking the PCIe freq to 101, increasing PCI voltage +0.1. Like CoreOxide, I don't have any settings to underclock the NB voltage. I am running stock BIOS on the mobo (F2) and the Palit. Running the latest chipset drivers, etc. with no overclocking in the BIOS. The Palit is factory overclocked to 650, not sure if that would make a difference or not.

I have a modular power supply and will try a different PCIe connector to see if it's a power issue. I plan on taking my card to a friend's rig (w/ nvidia chipset) to see if I can rule out a bad card, and if so I'll probably replace my mobo with either GB EP35-DS4 or EX38-DS4.

CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400
    Mobo: Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R
    PSU: Corsair HX 520W
    VGA: Palit 8800GT Sonic
    RAM: GEIL 2x2GB DDR2 800
    HD: Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 9SATA 300) WD 2500JD (Sata 150)

12. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

hi there, welcome to TechARP.

1. Can you try the F3b bios?
    GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - BIOS Download

2. PCIe power has got nothing to do with the PCIe bus, a normal system will still run @ x16 even without the external PCIe power.

3. I don't think there's a problem with your graphics card either, this bug lies with the board, not the graphics card.

4. Can you post a screenshot with the GPUZ or CPUZ showing PCIe bus width @ x1?

13. Ludditus

Ludditus Newbie

No change with F3B BIOS update

I flashed my BIOS to F3B, running at the optimized defaults setting in the BIOS, but am still seeing the x1 bug (see pic.) I agree that power shouldn't affect it, I had read another suggestion to check the power cord -- anyway I did that too and it didn't make any difference. Right now I think I've done just about all I can without flashing the video card's BIOS which is not something I'm going to do with a new card. I'm going to try the card in a friend's AMD mobo tomorrow, if it works fine then I'll be ordering a new mobo.

thanks for the advice!

CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400
    Mobo: Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R
    PSU: Corsair HX 520W
    VGA: Palit 8800GT Sonic
    RAM: GEIL 2x2GB DDR2 800
    HD: Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 9SATA 300) WD 2500JD (Sata 150)

Attached Files:

14. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

Hmm.. I think you should try another motherboard then.. Do let us know if other boards work for you :)

15. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Did you try changing the PCIe clock speed in the new BIOS?

16. Ludditus

Ludditus Newbie

no luck getting 8800GT to work

I tried tweaking the PCI-E freq and voltage, on fresh installs of both Vista and XP using the latest mobo chipset and nvidia drivers. I also tried a friend's 7900GTX which came up fine at x16 in all conditions. I am sending the 8800GT back for a 8800GTS 512MB OC card, hopefully that will work better.

17. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, hope that works out better. :beer:

18. nexuno

nexuno Newbie

You did quite a good job...it was very helpful but you have to correct something...

i'm writing this because i went mad to solve this problem....my board p5b-e (like others) doesn't have 1.45V....so setting to 1.55V will partially solve the problem.....i don't know why you'll have the board setting your link width randomly to x1 x16 at each boot....so if you want to completely solve your problem raise the pci-e frequency till the problem is solved

for example at 100Mhz won't boot, at 101Mhz it will boot but i randomly have the x1 problem, at 103Mhz the problem is completely solved...cheers!

so you should write:
    "1.55V or below"
    and something like:
    "if this won't solve your problem try to raise pci-e frequency of about 1-2-3 Mhz"

19. Ludditus

Ludditus Newbie

Update -- no prob with 8800GTS

I replaced my Palit 8800GT Sonic with an EVGA 8800GTS 512MB KO -- ran great at x16 with no tweaks. Only $30 more at newegg for 8800GT Ultra speeds.

20. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

Hi there, it might be something else if you can't boot @ pcie-100mhz. I have yet to come across any boards that fixes the bug by raising the pcie frequency.

Also, may I know the exact model of your board & graphics card?

Thanks